• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TaeKwonDo black belt testing,

Indeed, there are different ways or criteria for testing from different arts-orgs. The requirements are laid out and expected to be met. Therefore, if a art-org, is comfortable with awarding the rank, so be it. I am rather uncomfortable with all ranking to begin with, as it strays away from its purpose towards some others more contradictory to what martial arts were and should be, IMHO.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed....even within the same school, not everyone getting their black belt is equal. Some put the minimum amount of work necessary to get to black belt, others give it their all and not really worry about the belt as much as just doing the best they can. Some may have physical restrictions they have to work around, others may be in the prime health of their life, etc. If the org. one is a part of is comfortable that they've fulfilled their requirements for black belt, then so be it.

Agreed....even within the same school, not everyone getting their black belt is equal. Some put the minimum amount of work necessary to get to black belt, others give it their all and not really worry about the belt as much as just doing the best they can. Some may have physical restrictions they have to work around, others may be in the prime health of their life, etc. If the org. one is a part of is comfortable that they've fulfilled their requirements for black belt, then so be it.

Solid post!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Pretty much the same as I was saying.

Though does a org allow certain criteria to be overlooked, or light for the sake to have as many ranked people, in order to promote the org-art further?

Most org/feds/assoc support the sensei of that dojo.

For example, the ATA headquarters will refer someone with a concern right back to that instructor. The ATA heaquarters won't calll that instructor and make any judegement one way or another.

Someone who's been/in the ATA, please let me know if what I'm saying here is correct or not.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Can you imagine how embarrassing that must be for her to go to a tournament and wonder why she did not place?...I am impressed with her ability to break, I did not see that in her. But She did have a nice elbow break and she favors it...BAD self defense technique though.

For grading and/or promotion, does breaking really stand to merit or mirror self defense applications?

I think it should. It shows how much force one can execute and shows how conditioned ones self truly is. At least thats what I was taught to look for in tamechiwari and machiwara demonstration during our testing. She favors the elbow smash, good. But she should be trying to focus on something more practical like her kicks so if she does not make contact she can at least add distance. For an elbow technique you have to be pretty close.