• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Obama Gets A Black Belt

Its no big deal in my eyes. What does it really mean? Not much.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis Presley had a black belt in karate. I heard he was a 8th degree. His instructor said he was so good, that he gave him his own belt. Also said that Elvis taught him (the instructor more than he taught him. (Is that worth your black belt?) Something that bears you sweat ,blood, and tears) Was Elvis all that good? He sure had good form on stage? VIA LAS VEGAS!

My life is the only thing I got, and one cold night in January it meant a lot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not big on the idea of honorary belts. At first, I thought, well, it's more of a friendly gesture than anything, but then I realized that I would never accept it if it were someone who wasn't president or prime minister or what-not, so why make an exception?

Despite my disdain for honorary ranks, I do think that we tend to put too much of an emphasis on black belt in the US. That might be why there's the stigma attached to an honorary first dan. In reality, especially in South Korea, there isn't a lot of weight put on first dan. I'd say it's less like getting a university degree and more like a high school one.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War