• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Obama Gets A Black Belt

Just because I came up with this topic, it doesn't mean that I support Obama's receiving a honorary BB because I don't! I was just sharing the article with fellow martial artists.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty tacky. Honourary lifetime membership of the Kwan - that would make the same point politely and without the connotations and stresses that a black belt involves....

Just because I came up with this topic, it doesn't mean the I support Obama's receiving a honorary BB because I don't! I was just sharing the article with fellow martial artists.

:)

It is good conversation to put forth for good opposing discussion

If I remember correctly, Theodore Roosevelt held rank in Judo. Not a black belt. Maybe brown. But not black. The difference is that he earned it while in the white house. Obama...who couldn't even manage to bowl past 40 and took the style only for three years and got green belt in a style that typically takes two-to-four...does not deserve a black belt.

I have seen this kind of thing before. I don't really care either way.

What if your teacher had done this to someone less popular? And that this someone receiv a higher rank than you in such a short time? And this person has far less study time and/or skills than yourself?

It's obviously not a reflection of anything to do with any study or commitment to the art. Personally, I don't much care one way or the other. Then again, I'm not a Korean stylist.

I used to get way more worked up about these things. These days, it doesn't affect my training or my rank. Since reaching that little point of enlightenment, I tend to be in bushido man's camp.