Is it so?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some martial artists CAN be called "warriors" but I don't thing all martial artists SHOULD be called "warriors."

In today's martial arts world, I think a lot of it really depends on the school. Though there are plenty of really good schools out there, there are also a lot of "watered down" schools around.

I think the martial artist, like myself, that holds down a 9-5 job and does the arts for the love of them and for the self-defense aspects of it, they are no more a warrior than the Okinawan merchants, farmers and fishermen that developed the martial arts as a form of self-protection.

The martial artists that train to enter point tournaments and compete for trophies are not warriors any more than basket ball or track athletes because they do it from a sport perspective.

I think the true martial arts "warriors" are those that devote their lives to the art for one purpose only, and that is combat. People that strive to defeat others with their skills, such as those found in the UFC and Pride.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

This is one of those arguments that has merit, but can get rather circular. It depends heavily on the definitions that one chooses to use.

In the end, I think it matters little. Train for what you're in it for. Train hard and be ready. Past that, who cares?

I think there are times when a Martial Artist may have to make a descion that puts him in danger. At that time, they may become a warrior, for that brief time period.

Now, with that said, one can train to have a warrior mind set, and approach life from a warrior point of view, as in always being prepared, checking surroundings, etc.

But, I save the warrior title for those enlisted in the armed services. They are the ones likely to go to war, so they encompass it the most. One could make similar arguements in the LEO cirlces, as well, but I think it falls more to the enlisted men and women.

Put bluntly this is of course a very subjective thing.

But your not a warrior unless you fight to kill. Look at the spartans, true warriors in the sense.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I think there are times when a Martial Artist may have to make a descion that puts him in danger. At that time, they may become a warrior, for that brief time period.

Now, with that said, one can train to have a warrior mind set, and approach life from a warrior point of view, as in always being prepared, checking surroundings, etc.

But, I save the warrior title for those enlisted in the armed services. They are the ones likely to go to war, so they encompass it the most. One could make similar arguements in the LEO cirlces, as well, but I think it falls more to the enlisted men and women.

Wise post....there's a difference between having the "heart of a warrior" and being a true warrior. As a martial artist, I've trained to develop my skills and strengthen my character such that should the need arise, I can be prepared to be a "warrior" but that doesn't make me a true warrior by lifestyle. We train to prepare ourselves for a situation we hope doesn't happen. The members of the armed forces train for a situation they know has a high probability of happening.