• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conveyed Message

Jim Wagner said...

"When I started training in karate, the actions and attitudes of my instructor left me thinking that if I was ever attacked, I'd be barefoot, wearing a loose-fitting gi, and sufficiently forewarned to be able to drop into a wide stance and plant my rear hand at my hip. I was also left with the impression that my enemy would do the same. If he had a weapon, I surmised, it would be a sword, sai, bo or nunchaku.

Of course, the sensei didn't say these things outright. He conveyed the message through his behavior and the ways he had us train. My kung fu, judo, aikido and savate teachers did the same. Their message was crystal clear. This is how the enemy will attack, and this is how you will respond."

Your opinions?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Jim Wagner said...

"When I started training in karate, the actions and attitudes of my instructor left me thinking that if I was ever attacked, I'd be barefoot, wearing a loose-fitting gi, and sufficiently forewarned to be able to drop into a wide stance and plant my rear hand at my hip. I was also left with the impression that my enemy would do the same. If he had a weapon, I surmised, it would be a sword, sai, bo or nunchaku.

Of course, the sensei didn't say these things outright. He conveyed the message through his behavior and the ways he had us train. My kung fu, judo, aikido and savate teachers did the same. Their message was crystal clear. This is how the enemy will attack, and this is how you will respond."

Your opinions?

:)

180 degrees from what my Sensei teaches. At least the first paragraph.

I don't know who this Jim Wagner is, but he's wrong...SERIOUSLY WRONG!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

That wasn't my experience, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't the norm for a lot of people.

This was probably more prevalent a generation or two of ma-ist ago, when there was much more emphasis placed on stylistic boundaries than on cross training and less research into actual altercations and responses.

Martial arts sarcastic poetry?

Yes, this does seem to be a fine piece of satire. Unfortunately, like any decent satirical commentary, its sting comes from truth. Though exaggerated, it does illustrate the effects of allowing tradition to take the driver's seat. Thank you for sharing this, sensei8. Where is it from?

That wasn't my experience, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't the norm for a lot of people.

This was probably more prevalent a generation or two of ma-ist ago, when there was much more emphasis placed on stylistic boundaries than on cross training and less research into actual altercations and responses.

Yes, there does seem to have been a shift away from "traditional" practices since the surge of so-called "combative" or "reality-based" styles (though I think the scare quotes should convey my opinion of most of them), and with the rising popularity of competitive mixed martial arts. I don't think that the problem is in any danger of extinction though. Many of those senseis from a generation or two ago are still teaching, as are some of their students. Even less traditional (including "combative" or "reality-based") schools can fall into the same habit of propagating faulty or unrealistic training methods. It was always a priority of my instructor's to examine his school for such practices, and there were always new problems to be found cropping up. Anyone who thinks that modernness immunizes their training could probably benefit from taking a closer look.

This hasn't been my experience, but I think it is the experience of many. Not to say that traditions don't have a very important part within martial arts, as I think knowing where the art you study has come from provides valuable insight, but it's also important to understand it's applications both in everyday life and in a self defense situation in modern society.

I read Wagner's articles in BB all the time. Some in a sense tick me off, others he comes straight forward on how it is.

I wouldnt take alot of his analogies with a grain of salt though. He's informant on reality based fighting but no clue on traditional ma. He's pretty much one of those that thinks all MA should be able on his reality fighting. If it dont fit it needs to be discarded type philosphy.

I cant remember the issue, I might have it around. It has him sorta apoligizing but not really to the MA community.