• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

finding time to practice?

NewLevel

I've always enjoyed practicing while cooking. A kick here, a stance there, it really works! I performed side kicks every time I cooked for months...now my side kick is my best kick. If you're going to be practicing in the kitchen though, make sure you practice slow and focused techniques...speed, jumps, etc are a sure way to injure yourself in the kitchen!

Just because you can't set aside time to practice, doesn't mean that you cant practice. If every time you stand up you do one particular technique you need practice on....well you'll end up doing that technique a whole lot, and it won't take any time from your regular day to day activities.

Find one thing that you do regularly (like standing up, cooking, walking down the hallway, going to the bathroom, waking up, opening a book, etc) and pair it with something you need work on, then you will get plenty of practice in.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Anyone find it difficult to practice?

I'm a college student working toward a degree and studying Shorin Ryu on Monday evenings with my sensei and senior student.

I'm finding it hard to find time to practice at home like I want to. And the martial arts are new to me. Actually, I just started about 8 months ago, so everything is new.

It's frustrating because I feel I'm letting myself down as well as my sensei. I want to be great at Karate but stay humble as well.

Any tips on how to practice with a busy schedule?

I guess it's just sitting down and getting it done?

College first, martial arts second.

No need to worry about putting in more time to martial arts.

Get your college education and martial arts will come along.

SOLID!!!!!!!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

when i was in kenpo plus shotokan i didnt train very much. maybe 4 or 5 hours a week. That is because i was trying to decide which martial art to do.

Since I chose shotokan as my 'do' there's hardly a day goes by that I don't do something related to my training

for example I drink tea everyday and I'll be waiting for kettle to boil and I'll do heian shodan while I'm waiting. Or I'll walk down the hall doing uchi uke. Or soto uke. or age uke.

for an example xD

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

The best thing to do is just set the time aside at the beginning of the week and don't let anything short of total disaster keep you from training during that time. Make it as much as your schedule will allow and stick to it. It's far better to be regular twice a week than train six days one week then not hit the mat again for three weeks.

Everyone has time management issues. It's even harder when you have a broad set of skills that you want to maintain and others you want to progress in.

I actually was a bit opposite. I had plenty of training time during college. Of course, I prioritized it a bit more then Now I have a harder time with getting what I feel is plenty of mat time. Families and jobs are much less forgiving than classes and professors.

That being said, schedule it and stick to it.

One trick I like is to cool down after cardio or weights by hitting the heavy bag, BOB or doing rolling drills with my Boomer dummy. Sometimes, I just shadow box or do mat drills. Any way I do it, I go light and technique heavy for 10-15 min. That usually gives me 2-3 more mini session per week. That's anther 45 min or so per week of training split out as to not be noticed.

That's almost another class per week for drill time. When you do the math, it starts to add up.

Good luck staying focused and on track.

thanks guys...sometimes I'm too hard on myself because I feel I have fallen behind since it's been so long I've practiced for a thorough time.

You guys have given me that boost I need.

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

thanks guys...sometimes I'm too hard on myself because I feel I have fallen behind since it's been so long I've practiced for a thorough time.

You guys have given me that boost I need.

I dont think you have fallen behind in martial arts.

Just dont "fall behind" in academics.