• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

finding time to practice?

NewLevel

Anyone find it difficult to practice?

I'm a college student working toward a degree and studying Shorin Ryu on Monday evenings with my sensei and senior student.

I'm finding it hard to find time to practice at home like I want to. And the martial arts are new to me. Actually, I just started about 8 months ago, so everything is new.

It's frustrating because I feel I'm letting myself down as well as my sensei. I want to be great at Karate but stay humble as well.

Any tips on how to practice with a busy schedule?

I guess it's just sitting down and getting it done?

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basically. I work full-time with lots of overtime and court time, am married with a wife and young baby, and still find the time to train. Cut out a lot of the leisure stuff throughout the day and you'd be surprised how much time you actually have.

The best advice I have is to schedule it for yourself. Make a routine. For example, I wake up M-W-F around 8, work out at 9 or 10 for an hour (depending on what the homework load is like), and then carry on with my day.

It's consistent - be it kata work, or just running. But I always find something to fill that hour with three days a week.

Practice time is vitally important in the martial arts. Even with your very busy schedule of college/studying, you'd be surprized just how much practice you can get in a day.

Yes, you'll NEED unwind time from everything from time to time otherwise you'll get burned out of one or another or both. So, find time to just relax and do absolutely nothing. No school/studying and no martial arts, even if just for a few hours.

Now. Practice opportunities will present itself to you all through out the day. A few minutes here and a few minutes there will add up to be more than one could imagine. Try to find a day where you do nothing! That might be hard, but, if you've time to watch football or NASCAR or the NBA or the UFC or something on the TV, well, there's the time right there to practice...just turn off the TV and PRACTICE!

Practice makes perfect, or as close as one can get. Whether you practice or not; it'll show and your sensei will know if you've practiced or not. I'd not worry about wondering if you're letting your sensei down or not. That's good that you're aware across the board, but, your sensei knows that your a full time student in college and sometimes college MUST and WILL come before the martial arts. Therefore, your sensei will understand, but, at the same time, he'll encourage you to find time.

If you don't practice the martial arts then it'll be akin to jumping out of an airplane, but, without the parachute!

You'll find the time! And if you don't find the time...well...I think you'll make the time because Shorin Ryu as well as any martial arts takes one thing...and that is...PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...........!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Basically. I work full-time with lots of overtime and court time, am married with a wife and young baby, and still find the time to train. Cut out a lot of the leisure stuff throughout the day and you'd be surprised how much time you actually have.

This sums it up. Even if you have 5 minutes at a time, do some kicks, go over your form (even in your head, if you have to), or stand in a stance. These are simple things, but as time goes by, you'll discover even more things you can do to practice at home....like doing sets of side kicks between paragraphs of the book you are reading, while the wife and baby are sleeping....:roll:

I started my martial arts journey way back in the stone age (1975) also when I was in college. I had formal 3 hour classes with my sensei 3 days/week and practiced at least an hour/day on my own. I was a full time student and worked 25-30 hours/week at my job, and I still had plenty of time to party hardy with my friends, date and enjoy life.

What I did was I always had an hour or two during the day between classes and I would keep my gi in the car and run to the gym and work out for an hour between classes. Basics and kata mostly. Sometimes there would be another student that would join me and we could work on techniques we had been learning.

Another way to get practice time is to incorporate practice into your home routine. For example, I would walk from one room of the house to another doing the walk I learned in class and practicing my basics as I went. Kicks, blocks and punches. If I was at home studying and was approaching that point where I was burning out on the school work, I would sometimes take a 5 minute break and do kata or beat on the heavy bag...then I'd return mentally refreshed to my studies.

There's always free time here and there that you can train...it doesn't have to be a set time daily, unless you have that luxury.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

It really is just time management. I'm doing my degree at the moment and still find time to do stuff. Like everybody else said, cut the other leisure time and you'll have loads of time to practice. Or combine stuff. Whilst watching tv or reading a book, stretch or practice a stance or something. When travelling to and from college, be going over your kata in you head.

If I was at home studying and was approaching that point where I was burning out on the school work, I would sometimes take a 5 minute break and do kata or beat on the heavy bag...then I'd return mentally refreshed to my studies.

This is great advice. Makes you learn better if your doing lots of short sessions rather than one long one.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

My best MA practice opportunities come in little snippets throughout the day. Like for instance, after taking a whiz and washing up -- most of us will be standing in front of a mirror. Perfect opportunity to spend a few extra seconds drilling "whatever" technique 2-3 times. I personally seem to get more benefit using this strategy, then putting aside a contiguous 30-minute chunk several times a week outside class. Just an idea...

Anyone find it difficult to practice?

I'm a college student working toward a degree and studying Shorin Ryu on Monday evenings with my sensei and senior student.

I'm finding it hard to find time to practice at home like I want to. And the martial arts are new to me. Actually, I just started about 8 months ago, so everything is new.

It's frustrating because I feel I'm letting myself down as well as my sensei. I want to be great at Karate but stay humble as well.

Any tips on how to practice with a busy schedule?

I guess it's just sitting down and getting it done?

College first, martial arts second.

No need to worry about putting in more time to martial arts.

Get your college education and martial arts will come along.

This sums it up. Even if you have 5 minutes at a time, do some kicks, go over your form (even in your head, if you have to), or stand in a stance. These are simple things, but as time goes by, you'll discover even more things you can do to practice at home....like doing sets of side kicks between paragraphs of the book you are reading, while the wife and baby are sleeping....:roll:

Or changing the baby's diaper while in kiba dachi. Saves the back a lot and lets you get some stance work in.