• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Empty Hand

RichardZ

Is Karate truly "empty hand"?

If so, why is there is weapons practice?

Is it Okinawan-Japanese or Chinese?

Was it truly created resulting from a weapons ban?

Was jumping kicks designed to kick off horsemen?

Was the shuto strike designed to get into the uncovered area of the neck not protected by a helmet?

Can Karate be Kung Fu or Quan Fa be Karate?

Edited by RichardZ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Karate Techniques are designed to be used with weapons. The technique is the same as in Karate, it's just that the Weapon is an extension of your arms/body.

Basically, you have to learn how to use your body correctly first prior to putting a weapon in your hands.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Intresting points about the Shuto and the Jumping Kick. Some stuff there for me to go read up on/think about.

cheers

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

Pretty much, yes, karate is empty handed.

Weapons practice, or Kobudo, is a totally seperate, but connected, art.

Karate comes from China origionally...in part anyway..then to Okinawan, which was a major trading island at the time. Okinawan had its own hard martial art, which when combined with the softer kung fu from traders to the island, became what we know of today as modern day karate. Japan didn't get "karate" until the early 20th century, and they got it from Okinawa.

No, karate was in existence long before the weapons ban, but it became more pronounced after that time.

I assume you're still talking karate here? True "old school" karate doesn't do jumping kicks. Or at least, not high jumping kicks. The systems that are doing those now have added that technique within the past 30 years or so.

Was the shuto strike designed to get into the uncovered area of the neck not protected by a helmet?

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

Karate, Kung Fu are generic terms, like saying cars/automobile...it denotes a generalized "thing", not a specific, such as a Toyota car. Can they be the same? Not really, as the emphasis of each is different than the other. Also, karate denotes a fighting system from Okinawan/Japan, whereas kunk fu and quan fa denote a Chinese influence.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I like your analogy Montana... Especially since I use to work for the Toyota National Headquarters. :D

- Killer -

Karate, Kung Fu are generic terms, like saying cars/automobile...it denotes a generalized "thing", not a specific, such as a Toyota car. Can they be the same? Not really, as the emphasis of each is different than the other. Also, karate denotes a fighting system from Okinawan/Japan, whereas kunk fu and quan fa denote a Chinese influence.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Very interesting topic!

Yes!

An extension of my "empty hand"!

Yes!

Yes! [i'm assuming that you're referring to Kobudo.]

No!

No!

Yes!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Karate and Quan Fa are the same?

Are they both Gung Fu?

They're both martial arts!

Are they both Gung Fu?

Not by name and not by literal definition!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I am going to have to call it a day on this board (work and training commitments etc.), but before I do, I think this is an excellent post with which to bid

'au revoir, to you all.

No, the term karate is derived from the kanji for "Kara" = empty and "Te" = hand, but there is a lot more to it than that.

When the art that we know today as Karate first arrived on the shores of mainland Japan (from Okinawa) c. 1922, if it came with any label, it was that of "Tode" - which in Okinawan dialect means "Chinese Hand".

At first this was originally transposed into Japanese as such, but unfortunately due to the politics of the day, most things Okinawan and Chinese were considered a dirty word in Japanese cultural circles, so the Kanji for "Chinese" was exchanged for that of "Empty" which is still spoken in Japanese as "Kara".

Although this term "Kara" may literally translate to "empty" it doesn't imply without weapons.

The term is reference to a state of purity of mind and intent. It is the ability to train, learn and react instinctively rather than being "programmed".

This is what the "Empty" is in empty hand.

Because if you need to survive, you fight with what ever you have around you.

I think it would be fair to say that what most of the world recognises as karate was developed (or at least placed into a systematic way of teaching) in Okinawa.

It is also fair to say that because of its geographical location, Okinawa has had a Chinese influence on it ma from the as early as the 4th century, but it is equally important to remember that it had it own indigenous ma - "Tegumi", which was most probably blended (in varying degrees) with the "Chinese" systems to form what we understand today to be the three main sources of the Okinawan sytems:

Shuri-te

Naha -te

Tomare-te

No, but probably helped shape tings along the way.

No, but if it helps you visualise a the kick whist training - its not a bad anecdote.

Main reason for practicing Tobi-geri is agility - so aim as high as you can.

Shuto is just a hand position.

I guess it can be whatever you want. Personally I don’t put things into boxes, but “your” Karate is what it is.

Its genetic makeup has of course - in part -a Chinese connection, but imo this is often over egged.

Anyway guys, take care and play nicely :)

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

They're both martial arts!

Are they both Gung Fu?

Not by name and not by literal definition!

Gung Fu could be applied to anything of acquired skill. In a sense, Karate can be a Gung Fu, though it is a mixture of terms (like bo staff-East and West termed together)