• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The importance of WTF Black Belt Poomse

I'm learning the Black Belt Poomse again but I forgot the Taeguek's. I've been considering the issue, and I believe that the Black Belt Poomse is almost a separate system.

When you get a black belt, is it recommended that you practice the old hyungs or focus on the black belt hyung?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Speaking strictly for my dojang,when you test for 1st dan, you need to know every form, term, technique and rule/tenet from white belt on up or you fail.

From what I've heard other schools' only criteria is paying the monthly fee...sad but true.

Not many people make it past red belt in our school, which is fine by me.

learning and performing a form in a sloppy manner then proceeding to forget it while working on your next belt renders the whole effort practically worthless. This of course is my opinion, but I'm not alone. :wink:

I'm not saying that you do sloppy forms, but the fact that you forgot them suggests that they weren't properly assimilated...

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-07-17 02:51 ]

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

(although I practice the ITF bb forms I would like to reply....)

I believe what taichi4eva is asking is as a black belt, should you concentrate on just the black belt form or do you also practice the first form on up to your level.

Sometimes the class as a whole goes through every form together(white on up to black). Students are bowed out when their form has been completed and go off to the side to practice again on their own. Black belts remain to the very end.

Then there are days when individual belts are called upon to perform their form.

It is mandatory for a black belt to practice forms (1-their specific form) on their own if not done during class time. I don't know about many of you, but if I don't make a habit of it, I tend to forget them .... even Chon Gi!!! :roll:)

Also, I don't know about your school but we do have a separate Black Belt class now where we concentrate on just our forms but then go over all the other forms giving them that "special" black belt feeling to them.

Not only should Black Belts retain the perfect execution of each form for their own standards but it is necessary if they eventually want to instruct (whether it be to lower ranked students during class time or taking on their own class at their school).

Tai,

I do practice WTF and the Taeguk forms. I thought they were also (the first three eeekkk .... still do :roll: ), but I like Taeguk 4 (sa jang). I think they start getting good after this one.

I came from a traditional art, and the forms were a lot harder. When I started TKD, I was bored to death. You know why? I was so closed minded. I was stuck on TSD and that's what I wanted to do. Eventhough I still love TSD, I also enjoy TKD now, because I opened up and I'm giving TKD a chance. Plus I love forms. I don't just learn the "motions", I "dig" into the forms (how, why, what, ect).

I'm not trying to bash on you, but I'm getting a vibe that you never learned the forms like this. I'm not saying it's the perfect way, but it brings a new light to any form.

Laurie F

When I first started to play the drums I hated to play anything with a simple beat.

I wanted to play complicated polyrythms in odd time.

It was not until I played in several bands that forced me to play simply that I realized that music is not about playing the most complicated beats, it's about bringing what ever you do play to life.

Martial arts are like that.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

You're right. I basically learned the forms to get to the next belt, not understanding the applications of the techniques.

I was pretty young when I got my black belt so I didn't really care about knowing when and how to use these techniques in a tough confrontation.

Thank you for that comment. Now I know what I can focus on.

Quick question- anyone here practice palgue instead of tageuk? They seem closer to ITF. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Ti Kwon,

Same here :grin: I played drums, too. I wanted to play fast, hard stuff too. It wasn't working LOL. I went to the basics and got better. That's how I also look at martial arts. The basics are so important.

Laurie F

WE do Palgwe, not Taeguk, and the Yudansha forms seem to "mix" better that with the Taeguks. That said, the Chang-Hon Yudansha forms are also quite interesting. Has anyone else noticed Naha-te influences in the WTF BB

Forms? I'm thinking specifically about bits of Cheongkwan and Keumgang.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!