• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking both WTF TKD and Kung Fu

Horribly jealous! :grin: I lived in Seattle for five years and always wanted to Study Hung Gar (with John Leong, no less!) and never had the time.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have no clue, tai. We don't start learning Kung fu (besides Chin Na) till red belt/black belt. I'm only a green belt. I'm in it for the TKD, not the Kung Fu (no offense to Kung Fu peoples, I just like TKD). I can find out the forms, and I'll post them for you.

Laurie F

What is your purpose in learning two styles? I assume it's to learn new techniques for the sole purpose of fighting. Well, since you're a 2nd degree black-belt, you probably understand the technical and physiological aspects of each technique in Tae kwon do.

Since you understand the body mechanics and physiology behind techniques, I don't think you will have any problem learning KyunG fu. People with no prior martial arts experience may get confused learning two martial arts when they are not proficient in one martial art. I believe you'll be just fine.

I'm a free-style martial artist, with my main foundation in Tae kwon do. I train in two different arts at the same time. I don't get confused, 'cause I understand the movements/techniques. My motto is, "Use techniques that work for you." YOu don't have to use every technique you learn! Some techniques will work for others, while some won't.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt