• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA vs General strength

I think average was the key word there. And on average, or at least when examples are controlled for experiance and level of participation in an activity (recreational, amature, professional, elite, ect), I'd say that this is a realitively accurate statement.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why strength training is in my opinion more important once you can do the technique.

There is a point when going to the gym and adding 20lbs to your body weight will make such a huge diference in your ability to hit hard that technique doesn't matter so much anymore.

No improvement in technique (once you get to a certain proficiency) will help you like the addition of more mass behind you hit. The same goes for you ability to produce force.

There comes a point where shear strength outweights technical benefit.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 1 month later...

A friend emailed me, asking if I'd ever heard of Genki Sudo, a favorite of hers who's recently retired though only thirty-one. I checked YouTube and found a "Best of" video.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlW0_r_japA

The connection to this thread starts at 5:25, where the 155lb Sudo is against a man-mountain. The video takes turns between that fight and other events, but if you watch at 6:30, it's incredible to see Sudo defeat this giant.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

A friend emailed me, asking if I'd ever heard of Genki Sudo, a favorite of hers who's recently retired though only thirty-one. I checked YouTube and found a "Best of" video.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlW0_r_japA

The connection to this thread starts at 5:25, where the 155lb Sudo is against a man-mountain. The video takes turns between that fight and other events, but if you watch at 6:30, it's incredible to see Sudo defeat this giant.

That's the boxer Butterbean. That was his first MMA fight and he essentially had no ground experience at that point. Genki Sudo is also an incredible martial artist and a superb athlete, a big difference from the average martial artist. Not taking away anything from Sudo by any means, but that can hardly be considered a regular event.

That's the boxer Butterbean. . . . Not taking away anything from Sudo by any means, but that can hardly be considered a regular event.

I hear you, Kuma, but if I'm in line, say to order a burger and fries at McDonald's, and a guy as big as Butterbean cuts in front of me, I'll . . .

Hmmm. . . I think I'll pretend I didn't notice. :lol:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 3 weeks later...
When facing greater strength, one must use greater smarts. There are things you can do to work around their strength. Before applying a hand twist for example, you initiate the technique with a strike to stun them long enough to allow you to apply the technique without their resistance. Also, strikes directly to joints can't really be resisted by strength.

Maximize your strengths, minimize their strengths.

On the money, distraction techniques is what is needed for a smaller weaker person to play their techniques.

When facing greater strength, one must use greater smarts. There are things you can do to work around their strength. Before applying a hand twist for example, you initiate the technique with a strike to stun them long enough to allow you to apply the technique without their resistance. Also, strikes directly to joints can't really be resisted by strength.

Maximize your strengths, minimize their strengths.

On the money, distraction techniques is what is needed for a smaller weaker person to play their techniques.

Distance, timing, and movement help too. Watch this highlight of Ryu Narushima, a knockdown fighter who at 5'6" and 154 pounds was routinely dropping fighters much bigger than him with his vicious lead high kicks.

• 5 months later...

That was a great highlight. Don't believe I've ever seen that before. None of those guys were much bigger if at all. If you really want to know. Train with some who out weighs you by 70 to 100 pounds and is athletic. It changes everything. Maybe not the outcome ultimately, but you may ride to the hospital with them. If you are out sized very skilled and all they have is a good foundation and MUCH stronger and heavier... it's easy getting on the train, it's heck getting off!

I know everyone wants to believe they can overcome and most certainly we can. But the risk increases exponentially.