MA vs General strength

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trained with a huge greek guy for a while. He was built like a brick outhouse, and powerful too. Unfortunately he concentrated on bulk so much that he was also pretty slow.

Bulk doesnt always equate to "slow".

Exactly. Take a lot at Olympic level sprinters. Some of those guys have very muscular physiques.

No, but it can make someone note that there's something there to be aware/forewarned about. The possibility that this very large person might be able to pick up the Empire State Building like it was just a feather or that this very large person can crush the Empire State Building like it was a piece of paper...well... it's a possibility that I can't ignore.

I'll only know for sure when the very large person and I engage one another in combat.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I trained with a huge greek guy for a while. He was built like a brick outhouse, and powerful too. Unfortunately he concentrated on bulk so much that he was also pretty slow.

Bulk doesnt always equate to "slow".

True enough. But the fact remains.

Interesting,

I would just like to state something

On average (this being the key) , Lightweights are faster than middleweights who are faster than heavyweights.

Anyone disagree?

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

When there is a lack of training, yes. I agree.

However, take me and one of my Isshinryu instructors for example. I am working on my first degree (finally I'll be able to live up to my screen name). This particular instructor - named Balthazar, is a fourth degree and significantly bigger than I am. He is one of the fastest in the whole studio on all his techniques and when he shuffles foreword, it's like a train in a sense that it's a massive object coming at you very fast and meanwhile the ground is shaking.

I notice in kata such as Seiyunchin that alot of the blocks and strikes are "reinforced" with the other hand, noting that the kata is meant for a smaller person of Okinawan stature. So...This is a small evidential point that technique can help...but. I think regardless that there are some technique for every body type. Should a 90 pound girl do a Morote uke?...I dont think so. Perhaps a kaishu waza towards the adams apple.

Interesting,

I would just like to state something

On average (this being the key) , Lightweights are faster than middleweights who are faster than heavyweights.

Anyone disagree?

I dont agree.

There are some football players out there, though "heavier", can run faster "backards, than I "forwards".