• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu is a striking art. Have you looked into JuJutsu as a complement? From the self-defense classes I took for a while, it can be brutal.

A friend of mine has been studying Judo for some years now. She does it as a sport, but knows its self-defense applications. (Like "O Soto Gari," a takedown that can have your assailant crash land on a concrete sidewalk.)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

That would be another striking art, Snapdragon. JuJutsu, with its takedowns and joint locks, would be a better complement.

Check out some JJ schools in your area. Observe some classes. I don't know how far you've come in Isshinryu, but you might want to talk with your sensei about taking classes in another martial art. You'll be splitting time between the two.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I haven't, but I most certainly will now. :D

Judo, however, isn't much my thing. I'm rather slight, with muscles distribution primarily in my legs, and I have issues throwing burly men off me.

Would kickboxing be something to look into?

Hello, Snapdragon. Welcome to KF. :karate:

Reading your post here, if you have muscled legs, Judo may very well be worth your while. By learning to leverage in Judo, you would make great use of a strong set of legs. You might think about it...

Isshinryu doesn't seem to have the fame [and, thus, American practitioners] of some styles, but it is definitely something I enjoy.

What would the knowledgeable, martial-arts savvy forum-posters suggest for a complementing style?

I find this very interesting because as far as I could tell, Isshin Ryu is one of the more popular forms of karate in America.

• 6 months later...

I find this very interesting because as far as I could tell, Isshin Ryu is one of the more popular forms of karate in America.

That might have something to do with you being in the part of the "Isshinryu Belt" of popular state for it. (assuming you are really from NY)

Isshinryu is pretty darn big in NY, PA, NJ and pretty big in OH, IN and MI.

Isshinryu is soread out all of the place now but these state are pretty darn covered in dojos when you compare it to some where like MA

• 2 weeks later...

Isshinryu would be complimented very well by Aikido. I met a Japanese martial artist awhile ago who used both and I thought they were part of the same style since they flowed so well together.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.

Judo, Jiu Jitsu, or even just wrestling would be a great compliment to Isshinryu.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."