• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chatan Yara no Sai Sho?

rogue2257

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...
He is using Nicho Zai...thats not right...And it is wayyy different.

And he is wearing Kaku Obi, no?

Mind elaborating? Why is using two sai not right? Nearly ever sai kata I am familiar with uses two sai. What is different about the version you do?

Chatan Yara no sai uses only one sai, and incorporates a gedan shuto waza at the beginning of the kata.

At least thats how the traditional Chatan Yara no Sai is done. Maybe the above one is not traditional, but I cannot judge because I have never heard of Chatan Yara no Sai Sho...

Chatan Yara no sai uses only one sai, and incorporates a gedan shuto waza at the beginning of the kata.

At least thats how the traditional Chatan Yara no Sai is done. Maybe the above one is not traditional, but I cannot judge because I have never heard of Chatan Yara no Sai Sho...

I've seen a number of variations of Chatan Yara no Sai. The version I do starts with one sai in hand and a second in the belt that is drawn several actions into the form. I was asking more about the kata I posted though... Similar name, but the form is completely different.

I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this particular form. I know Chatan Yara no Sai is widely practiced.

Yes the one I was referring to Starts off as a single sai then goes into a double sai. I suppose I should have gone more into that into trying to quick type out of it sorry.

But I have never ever seen this variation before...and Im on youtube alot...:o

• 2 years later...

The kata that starts with one sai in your obi is actually chatanyara no sai dai. Dai is "long". The "sho" kata are usually shorter kata. The Japanese word for the long and short swords carried by Samurai is Daisho. See the coorelation? Hope this helped. When I first learned chatanyara no sai, I learned the sho form at a clinic. Because of the time constraints, the instructor chose to teach the short form.