• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rank stripes on Black Belt Like or dislike?

IcemanSK

I dislike anything on the blackbelt. The belt is suppose to be symbolic some may say as to the soul of the martial artists, much like the katana to the samurai.

And also as an aspect that I have. When I meet with a new student, I wear my uniform, because thats what I do. I want my student to look me in the eyes when I shake his or her hand, and I dont want them looking down at my belt so see how many bars are on my belt depicting my degree. I would have four in that case. As my highest rank is 4th degree. But it is irrelevant, if someone wants to know my rank, all they have to do is ask.

As to answer how would they pick me out being the teacher? I know all of my students and I meet with their parents if they are minors. So everyone knows who I am. Also, I will be the only one giving orders and commands to the class.

As Dansha we should be able to send our knowledge out into our students and that picture should be drawn around the teachers. We should act like teachers and not students, this is the only way they can tell us apart. I was just recently giving a seminar to a "American freestyle Karate school" And everyone had on these belts with these sewed on chevrons and different color patches on their belt and then they had their uniforms on with different patches for every weapon they knew and every group they were in. In my opinion the patches and colors take away from the seriousness of the martial arts.

I am all for fun. BUT. I do not want my martial art to be made a mockery of.

But also on the other side of the martial arts using the bars. I do allow my black belts to put a piece of white electrical tape around their belts. And they can do this if they want to. But I do not supply it for them. nor will I ever. If they want to do it they can. And they can do it once for every dan level they achieve. Of course of Shodan they would not do it. but for Nidan I would allow for one piece of tape. Once I become sixth dan I will never put a piece of red tape on my belt. Maybe when im Ninth dan I will start looking at red belts...but...I will be lucky to ever make it that far haha.

Again this is my opinion and it transgresses into my school because I direct it. But like I said my students that are dansha are allowed to put white tape on it after shodan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike anything on the blackbelt. The belt is suppose to be symbolic some may say as to the soul of the martial artists, much like the katana to the samurai.

The belt was never to be a object for symbolism. It became such within a notion to distinguish. Hence, is what the stripes are for.

This is what I have been stating that I had a simular discussion with a Buddhist Monk.

In short, among the discussion of many things, that was about Buddhism, and the notion that Buddhist "give up" possesions. Buddhist do not look to be flagrant, as I had once thought. My discussion on this was the question I put forth, why do Buddhists (monks) wear such vibrant orange-red robes, if they are not looking to be brazen?

The response-answer, was color of the robes were for distinction, no different that other people who wear a uniform. Like police, doctors, etc. That such was for people whom do not personally know said wearer. Thwerefore, the robes served a purpose for recognition from others, and not one supplied to fuel the ego.

Another note; the Katana for the samurai was symbolic and many had personal markings for each owner. Thus the blade was almost seen as the soul. But the belt was never to be considered as a/the soul. It is a object of consummation that has been amplified.

The belt was never to be a object for symbolism. It became such within a notion to distinguish. Hence, is what the stripes are for.

This is what I have been stating that I had a simular discussion with a Buddhist Monk.

In short, among the discussion of many things, that was about Buddhism, and the notion that Buddhist "give up" possesions. Buddhist do not look to be flagrant, as I had once thought. My discussion on this was the question I put forth, why do Buddhists (monks) wear such vibrant orange-red robes, if they are not looking to be brazen?

The response-answer, was color of the robes were for distinction, no different that other people who wear a uniform. Like police, doctors, etc. That such was for people whom do not personally know said wearer. Thwerefore, the robes served a purpose for recognition from others, and not one supplied to fuel the ego.

Another note; the Katana for the samurai was symbolic and many had personal markings for each owner. Thus the blade was almost seen as the soul. But the belt was never to be considered as a/the soul. It is a object of consummation that has been amplified.

But the belt does symbolize something if its meant to stand for rank. The grade of symbolization is just what we make of it as "ka". Its an internal aspect to everyone. Some may find it as a symbol and others may find it as a piece of silk or cotton, nothing more. But black belt should be amongst other things a sign of the indomitable spirit and will power of the practitioner. Other than that it should be nothing more than the piece of material it truly is. My black belt is my very first white belt. Thats why it has symbolic meaning to me. It has been with me ever since the beginning of my journey, and I would rather not deface it with anything, that does not look professional in my own eyes.

Hmmm, everything stays put in my gi. Maybe its because I am use to it. I dont remember the first few times I hid stuff within my gi, but I know now that its very perfect for me.

The belt acts as a stopped so nothing falls through it. And it shouldn't move around.

Although I did get a comment at a tournament when I pulled a pair of tekko out of my gi.

The judge judging me came up to me after the tournament, and said that he gave me an extra 2 points just for keeping it within my gi until I started my form Maezato no Tekko.

I don't really care either way and in the style I studied, I didn't have a say in the matter anyway. My belt has two stripes which symbolize "second dan" --- but honestly I never felt any different than when there were no stripes on it. My theory is -- I considered myself a student who was there to learn; stripes are considered a symbol of achievement - or how far you have advanced. It is not meant to be used to "throw your weight around" the dojang or abuse your ranking either.

Stripes on a black belt indicate rank --- I suppose it's meant to also remind other students of protocol in relation to the wearer of the stripes.

On the flip side, some people let their rank "go to their head" but that doesn't just occur in martial arts industry.

So, my personal opinion is that it doesn't matter to me. :D

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert