• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rank stripes on Black Belt Like or dislike?

IcemanSK

• 5 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the whole time ive been training in karate ive only seen about 2 people at some compititions with dan bars on their belts...personally i dont like them i like kanji or something on it but not dan bars

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

What about the wearing of Title bars?

Most, if not all, Okinawan styles utilize the useage of the Title bars. For example...

Renshi = 1 bar

Kyoshi = 2 bars

Hanshi = 3 bars

These title bars are worn on both ends of the Yudansha obi. Yes, there are kanji for each of these, but, I'm speaking on just the title bars.

Whether there rank bars or title bars, the character of the Martial Artist isn't determined by what's around ones waist, but by what's in their hearts!

Your thoughts?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We use the black belt with a white and red side for renshi, but that's the only marking we use and the two instructors who wear their renshi belt wear black side out.

• 2 weeks later...

My school uses bars, but they're quite discrete - I don't think they look flashy or flambouyant at all.

There are quite a few black belts (it takes three years to earn one, assuming you go for, and pass, a belt every time there's a grading - although they're fairly strict so most people fail one here and there). There are only a couple of people at 2nd Dan, and only one 3rd Dan, though, and it's nice to be able to reognize those people.

I don't like how 99% of them look on any belt and black is more annoying to my eyes for some reason. My dislike for how they look goes along well with the fact that my school doesn't use them.

But I can see how they would be very useful at times and I don't hold it against anyone for wearing them or anything like that.

I belong to the second eldest karate association in Britain. In my organisation you only have your name and the association on your belt. As to rank stripes the rule of thumb is up to fourth dan nobody cares what rank you are! after fourth Dan everybody should know who you are!!! I have always found the more ornamentation the worse the karate. Wayne Otto (9 times world karate champion) has his name and his association on his belt and thats it! Enough said!!

I belong to the second eldest karate association in Britain. In my organisation you only have your name and the association on your belt. As to rank stripes the rule of thumb is up to fourth dan nobody cares what rank you are! after fourth Dan everybody should know who you are!!! I have always found the more ornamentation the worse the karate. Wayne Otto (9 times world karate champion) has his name and his association on his belt and thats it! Enough said!!

Well that because Wayne Otto is a Karate God!!!!

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• 9 months later...

Hmm. Well the stripes are neat looking, but at the same time I am really not interested in sending my belt in for embroidery each time I am promoted in Dan grade.

I simply just enjoy being a black belt. And I hope to wear the same belt for the rest of my days. I know we weren't supposed to discuss associational preferece, but I really thought the stripes were sweet and normal when I was younger. Now that I have been in Shotokan for a while, I personally have come to prefer the same preference of my school and association that I belong to. I really enjoy no one having stripes.

Our Hanshi is the most humble man I have ever met. And I think it's great when people from other schools meet him for the first time. They are still looking for him, even after they meet him because they are looking for those stripes!! Haha! He's an 8th Dan ranked by Meijin Masaki Sato out of Japan.

I'm joing this converstion late, but within ones own dojo I see no problem with it. If you were going to a seminar then i would rock the plain black belt. I find it no different than the color of belts from white to black. It is a sign of accomplishment and I would be proud to have my Dan stripes on my belt.