• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rank stripes on Black Belt Like or dislike?

IcemanSK

I'm interested in your opinion (rather than what your school does or doesn't do) on whether or not you like rank stripes on black belts. I was recently at the Kukkiwon (Taekwondo) Instructor's Course. The "powers that be" were asked what the "official" black belt looked like & they said "no rank stripes on the belt." Many folks in the room were quite surprised that it was not considered "kosher."

Every school &/or MAist has their own opinion on this. Having rank stripes makes it easier to denote who is in charge &/or where one stands in a room full of BB's. Others like a plain & simple belt.

What do you like?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi IcemanSK

Just as having stripes maybe a indication of satus, it still has to be recoginsed by all on that org as what it re[resents. Simply, the person should stand upon their own merit, rather dosplay a satus via stripes.

The striping maybe a bit flamboyant

I think rank stripes are useful when multiple schools get together for tournaments or testings. It's easy to figure out who is in charge by looking at the stripes. And when we hold regional black belt tests, those masters who come to judge from outside of the region can have an easy visual identifier which tells them what rank the testers are going for, and also helps them put names with faces.

So...if one is a member of an organization, then I say yes, rank stripes are good. If one is an individual school...then it can go either way imho.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Personally I think its egotistical. Your skill, authority, and knowledge should show through. Imagine if people went to cocktail parties having their college degrees. Stapled to their shirts.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

Personally I think its egotistical. Your skill, authority, and knowledge should show through. Imagine if people went to cocktail parties having their college degrees. Stapled to their shirts.

Good point. I guess when the ranking structure was first thought of, fancy colours, patterns like camoflouge, and stripes were not even a thought or consideration.

Here's how we use to do it. We use to donate rank by gi color.

Sho Dan was white

Ni Dan black bottom/white top

San Dan white bottom/black top

Yon Dan black/black

Go Dan back to white

But as we got more students it wasnt viable so we started putting stripes on the belts to designate rank. Only thing that changed was during our official IWKA tournaments in respect you wore a clean black belt and white gi.