• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weekly regularity of training?

I'm tempted to try out training in a 'combat sport' to help get fit mainly and was wondering how often a week I should train for to see results, and how long roughly it'll take.

The options I have near to me are kickboxing, boxing, or Krav Maga.

I tried out kickboxing several years ago for half a dozen or so lessons, but stopped for various reasons (one of the main ones being the pain it was causing in my knees). Since moving to a new area, I've attended the closest kickboxing class but wasn't too taken with it, as the teaching structure didn't seem very focused on learning proper technique, plus expanded out into some knife defence stuff (again, without any real instruction or cohesion IMO). There's also another local gym which teaches kick and Thai boxing seperately, though I haven't tried them out yet.

Duration of the local classes are:

Kickboxing (both) - an hour (though the one i went to actually lasted almost 2 hours, though quite a lot of the second hour was spent standing around watching the knife stuff)

Boxing - an hour session, though the website gives a good description of the types of training in that hour: "A typical beginners session would include a general warm up with range of movement stretches, a specific warm up of shadow boxing (mirror work), tech sparring learning the moves without getting hit, bag work, one on one coaching on the pads where the emphasis will be on technique rather than work rate, a CV & resistance circuit (a selection of exercises specifically chosen to develop your fitness and strength for boxing), an abs & back circuit and finally a warm down and stretch out."

Krav Maga - 2 hours per session.

I currently walk for about 3 miles each day to & from work at a brisk pace (5 days/week), plus try to climb up 6 flights of stairs 4-5 times a day during work and have just started a routine of 5 x 10 reps of press-ups every other day, but am thinking that broadening into some proper training will help my fitness goals.

Cheers,

Andy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best thing for fitness is probably aerobic training coupled with weight training, but if you want to do some kind of MA for fitness, I think you need to train (hard) at least three times a week. But two is also good for someone just starting out. If you do this, I think you will see results within a couple of months. From what you describe, boxing sounds like your best option.

Thanks for the reply Sibylla.

I've been doing a lot of reading about fitness through MA and by using bodyweight exercises and a lot of it makes real sense (short, sharp bursts of training and energy to build up strength and your metabolism).

Through walking my legs are in pretty good shape (if I do say so myself :)) even if they're not that flexible for kicking arts, so I am leaning towards the boxing to build up my upper body strength. In fact, when i went to the most recent kickboxing class and we were practicing drills, I've realised looking back that i was actually bobbing and weaving from the attack which makes me think I may be suited to boxing more than the kicking arts.

Will the press ups done regularly (every other day) help to increase my upper core strength (providing I up the no. of reps obviously as they get easier)?

Basically I can't afford the regular boxing training at present and am just researching my options, but know that doing something now at least will help when it does come to taking classes!

Cheers,

Andy

Remember that whatever length of time you choose to train, you will become fitter and that amount of time will no longer tire you out like it did when you started.

You may be tired out in an hour (depending on the class) initially. If a school offers classes back to back, and you are training mainly for fitness, then training two classes in a row could help you up your level.

As far as how often to train...every school I have attended recommended at least 2 classes per week. This was for general skill development though. Whether this would be the correct recommendation for fitness, I don't know.

As with choosing a martial arts school for self defense...the best thing to do is personally visit each school and watch some classes to get an idea of what the intensity level is, and if you and the instructor would be a good match.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

As far as how often to train...every school I have attended recommended at least 2 classes per week. This was for general skill development though. Whether this would be the correct recommendation for fitness, I don't know.

That's exactly what I was thinking along the lines of mate.

On a side note, I was passing Boots today so popped in to weigh myself and check my body fat ratio (I know it's not the most accurate test, but I've never done it before, so thought I'd give it a go). I've dropped a pound in the last week through resuming my regular walk (of 3 miles) and by fat ratio is 20.1, so I'm not as unhealthy as I thought! Just need to lose the bit of flab around my belly and tone up my arms & chest :)

I´m not going to say press ups etc is bad, but if you start in a club/dojo, you will go through an adjusting process both physically and mentally. Basically unless your already exceptionally fit, you wont get a running start. Imho my best advice would be to find a club, start and keep going regularly, then take stock of your training after a few months. There is such a thing as too high expectations, "too much too soon", which imho leads beginners to quit MA before they have started to get results in form of fitness and skills.

Thanks for the advice Sibylla. As I said before, I can't afford to take regular lessons at present, but hopefully I will be able to soon, then I think I'll go for the boxing option - it's a bit farther to travel than the kickboxing or Krav, but I think it'd be the one I most enjoy :)

I'd say that if you start out at 3 days a week, you should be good. See how you feel, and if a day off every other day is enough for your body to recover. If it isn't, back off to 2 days per week.

I'd say that if you start out at 3 days a week, you should be good. See how you feel, and if a day off every other day is enough for your body to recover. If it isn't, back off to 2 days per week.

Well I've contacted the local boxing club and they only have spaces for one session a week that I can make it to, unfortunately. But the main trainer sounds really nice and said he'll let me know if & when spaces become available on the other night I can make (bloody work, getting in the way of fitness! :evil: ).

I think I'm going to go this Saturday and see how it goes - at the moment I'm still walking the 3 mile 5-days-a-week walk to & from work, plus have managed to keep to doing 5 x 10 reps of press-ups every other day. If I walk to & from the boxing gym, then that'll add on another 6 miles of walking to my weekly exercise. I think all of that should supplement an hours training a week in boxing, which itself should hopefully improve my fitness & strength! Plus I'mlooking forward to the opportunity to 'toughen up' :)

Andy