• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Announcements in Aikido class

The sempai called me the other night to fill me in on some announcements for our Aikido club, and I thought they sounded like a pretty good deal to me.

1. There will be two testing per year, and everyone will be invited to them. We will either test, or do a pre-test where Aikitaiso movments and rolling/breakfalls are evaluated, and then advised on what we should focus on. I thought that this was great for all involved.

2. Saturday class will be devoted to weapons work; bokken, jo, or tanto, and their defenses. That should be a fun class.

At times, Saturday is the only class I make, so learning material might be slow at times, but I don't mind. I look forward to seeing these changes implemented.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we've now got some bad news for the Aikido club.

The sensei has terrible back problems, and cannot work out anymore. So, he is retiring at the end of the semester from teaching Aikido.

This leaves the club without a black belt, which the university has liability issues with. So, as of January, the dojo will not be allowed to meet anymore. There will still be an Aikido club, that can discuss aspects of Aikido philosophy and conduct, etc., but will not be allowed to practice technique under the embrella of the university as a club.

So, we are waiting to see what we can do about this. Crappy news.

Bummer. :(

Maybe the instructor would be able to direct the students to someone else in the area who could carry on the training in his place?

That would be nice, but there aren't any other Aikido black belts around here. The closest might be 2 or 3 hours away. But, we are staying optimistic that we can figure something out.

That sucks Brian. What's the highest grade/most experience person in the club now? Maybe they could try to teach some stuff and then have your old sensei in a sort of consultancy role for the time being until you sort something out.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Well, we've now got some bad news for the Aikido club.

The sensei has terrible back problems, and cannot work out anymore. So, he is retiring at the end of the semester from teaching Aikido.

This leaves the club without a black belt, which the university has liability issues with. So, as of January, the dojo will not be allowed to meet anymore. There will still be an Aikido club, that can discuss aspects of Aikido philosophy and conduct, etc., but will not be allowed to practice technique under the embrella of the university as a club.

So, we are waiting to see what we can do about this. Crappy news.

Sorry to hear that.

What or why, has he have back problems?

Also, does this really keep him for teaching?

Also, there goes the issue with the black belt and its issues agian.

Also, the club should still meet, perhaps somewhere else.

Yeah, bad news. I agree, that maybe one of the high ranking students could continue on teaching.

If nothing else, you've made good local contacts to train with. Maybe some informal work on the side?