• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Karate Newbie.Please help

sinclair84

hi, i've never done Karate or any kind of martial arts before but I want to start. I'm 31 years old. I hope this isn't too late to start. I also wear glasses so hope this wont cause a problem??

31 not to late to start. I'm 31 and i started shotokan karate-do in september.

i have glasses and i just wear them like when i need to see the blackboard or overhead in university classes. I leave them home when doing shotokan and it doesn't affect my training.

Couple weeks back there was a full page spread in our provincial newspaper (Im from NL, Canada) about a guy who started shotokan at 73 and got his black belt at the age of 80. I kept the article.

Its not age that's important in martial arts. or whether you have glasses or not.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are beginners older than you in my club, so don't worry about it.

There is a 1st Kyu in my club wearing glasses, so that shouldn't stop you.

Training in a group may be daunting at first, but it's far more beneficial to training alone.

Above all else you should enjoy yourself.

i dont mean for this to sound cliched, but it really is never too late to start. you'll soon find after starting that you feel much better, physically and in confidence.

for what to expect when you first start, dont worry about it. your sensei will recognize that you're new and help train you accordingly.

i first started karate when i was 22. on the first day i didnt know what to expect either. they had me dress in a gi (uniform), do the bowing, used Japanese terminology and everyone was shouting when they were doing moves or strikes. i didnt know what to think at first and was a bit weirded out but it didnt take long to get into the motions and now i prefer the more traditional schools.

just do it, you'll see what its all about

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sinclair84,

Dont worry about being too old to start, I am starting at age 60 after a false start when I was a young fella of 45, I said I would be back so here I am, this time to stay. I wish you well in your training.

Paddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, as Karate is a great way to improve yourself through personal growth.

Most have already commented on the age and glasses part so I'll refrain from repeating whats already said. I would like to comment on several other items though.

Before taking private lessons, I would recommend you go to the dojo itself and ask questions prior to a class starting if possible. Some dojo's have a web presence so you may also be able to email and communicate with one of the instructors and establish a schedule on when it would be best to go visit and possibly watch a class in session.

I would also recommend you do some research on the instructors, and watch the senior and junior students as they come to class to suit up. If the students are rude, and not very friendly you may want to look at another location or style of training.

Another area to consider is not to concern yourself with rank. The rank /belt doesn't make the student or the instructor. There's quite a bit of fly by night instructors out there so as with any aspect where your going to devote funds to be sure your instructors have the proper credentials before plopping down any cash for private lessons.

Karate is fascinating. Full of history. A dojo should be an environment conducive to training, and learning and its also a great way to develop life long friendships as the years go by. Take it slow, knowledge and forms will come to you as you continue. Speed will come as time progresses, but technique is most important. Remember speed is of no use to you if your doing it fast and wrong.

Learn the etiquette of the dojo, the words, commands. Everything will come into its own as time progresses.

Best of wishes to you.

The difference between school and life is simple

In school your taught a lesson

that prepares you for a test

In life your given a test

that teaches you a lesson

There is a 1st Kyu in my club wearing glasses, so that shouldn't stop you.

lf.

There is a Sho Dan in mine with glasses.

a Ni Dan too, i believe. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

You know, I never considered that my glasses might get in the way... I guess I may have to shell out the 100 bucks for a box of contacts if we every do sparring (I'm not sure how much they do it in the adult class. I know we barely ever did it in the kids class).

My sister used to wear glasses for all the line work and then take them off for sparring. Although her eyesight is now so bad that she has to wear contacts to spar now because she can't really see the other person without them... its great sparring her when she forgets to put them in :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius