• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Surprise Test

It's been a while (May 5) since I tested for a promotion in Soo Bahk Do, with personal matters and my having taken a fair number of Jeet Kune Do lessons (right elbow still on the mend) not having me advance as quickly as others in SBD.

I've been spending more time in the dojang, taking the green belt class (which was thought of for children, but I'm permitted to join in so that I can refresh green belt requirements) and then the following teens/adult class. On Monday, after my boys' class, my teacher informed me that she'd paid special attention to me in the adult class on the previous Friday, and that due to my improvement since the last test (she's big on improvement, especially in gup levels below red belt), she invited me to take the test for 4th gup that was held today.

I thanked her immediately and was able to get in some good practice, including preparing for a board break that was a roundhouse--meaning I'd have to break with the ball of the foot. The assistant instructor, a teenager who is knowledgeable and very personable, worked with me to practice the right way to perform the kick (to me, it's like a 45 degree angle) so that the ball of the foot will be the striking surface that impacts on the board.

It was really demanding, especially in that we have to redo all the lower gup requirements (demonstrating that we haven't forgotten them) as well as the new ones, and I was very happy when I broke that board. I was even permitted to assist in holding the board for others to break.

I'll know soon enough if I passed or not, but before I left, I again thanked my teacher for inviting me to test. I feel it's an honor when your teacher notices your performance and extends a surprise invitation.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats!

My instructor is big on surprises and improvement too, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see this happens elsewhere.

It sounds like you've been making strides to improve and it's paid off. Obviously your instructor seems pretty confident with you to invite you to test, but do you feel like you lived up to the expectations she may have had for you?

Obviously your instructor seems pretty confident with you to invite you to test, but do you feel like you lived up to the expectations she may have had for you?

I know that I've improved in technique concerning putting more hip/body rotation into movements, and having picked up applications within the forms has been helpful in performing them. Spending more training time in the dojang, even if it's a kids' class first and then the adult class, helped me to better know what to do when Ki Cho callouts (two to three moves to be done together, but the callout is in Korean) came up.

I know where I'm still weak, but fortunately I at least showed improvement since the last test, so I feel confident that I didn't disappoint her. Actually, Adam, I feel positive about the test overall. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

That's great news, Joe. :) I'm sure you did well, and regardless, if you feel well about your performance, then I'd say that's a win, no matter what. Let us know how it turns out. :karate: