• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punishment in the Martial Arts

at my seminar this weekend these kids, as kids will do, were complaining about training for hours and hours 'i'm bored' 'i hate this' ' can we stop' and Sensei got tough with them and said 'tough, we'll be doing this from 9 am til 11:30 or so, you'll do what you're told' 'quit acting like a bunch of wusses you're in martial arts now not kindergarten' but he didnt give them punishments or anything, he just laid down the law so to speak.

I said to him later 'No wonder you said you didnt wanna teach kids'

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teaching kids is tough, and it is not for everyone. Kids tend to get shut down when the hammer falls, especially if they feel they could be doing something more fun than what is going on at present time.

And I'm not even talking from an MA instructor perspective; I'm speaking from a father perspective. ;)

How old were these kids? Personally I'd talk to their parents and tell them their kids didn't want to participate and maybe they should stop wasting their money buying them lessons. Karate is a voluntary activity. I don't see why any sesei should have to put up with kids who don't want to learn. That's a school teacher's job. ;-)

How old were these kids? Personally I'd talk to their parents and tell them their kids didn't want to participate and maybe they should stop wasting their money buying them lessons. Karate is a voluntary activity. I don't see why any sesei should have to put up with kids who don't want to learn. That's a school teacher's job. ;-)

Feh, about 9. some were younger than that.

and it was my own sensei who was teaching those kids at the time and who said that (though there were 4 senseis at the seminar)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.