• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punishment in the Martial Arts

first time i witnessed any disciplining (myself being a little white belt of just over 2 months) was last night. Sempai was leading us in our warmups and 2 brown belts came in late. Now you'd think these people being brown belts they would immediately would kneel, bow and 'oss' like they were supposed to and wait for sempai to allow them to join in. But they didn't. They came in and were going to go to their place without permission to do so. So sempai had to speak sternly to them, and make them bow and 'oss' before allowing them to step in. and also sternly remind them of the respect and discipline they were supposed to show, to the dojo, the sempai, everyone else, as well as our founder, Master-sensei Funakoshi, to show they were sorry for being late.

No pushups or anything though. But I have no doubt that Sempai or sensei or another elder of ours would take those sterner measures if they had to. I have never had that problem though because I have never missed a training session nor have I ever been late. But what happened with those brown belts did help me to know what to do if ever I do happen to be late.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being late without punishment, and a scolding, would seem to suffice as the instructor already has a set tone, on what is to be expected, without the need for consequences.

Oh they do. Totally. He lets you know right away, and so help the people who break rules repeatedly when the scolding failed to work =]

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I has some incorrigible students a few times. I sought no punishment, but had other methods to get them motivated.

What other methods?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Wow, brown belts showing that little concern or respect? I'm frankly surprised.

If anyone's late where I train (and it happens, can't always be helped) general rule is to warm up outside the room then come in and kneel, waiting to be told to join the class.

Personally if I knew I was going to be any more than 5 minutes late, I'm not sure I would go in at all and just train at home.

Wow, brown belts showing that little concern or respect? I'm frankly surprised.

yeah, brown belts....strange, eh?

I mean these brown belts are 2 of my friends.....and they are great people but sheeesh.

Some of the kids (5th Kyu and above) who train in the Advanced / Adult class, from time-to-time are assigned pushups or timeout for off-nominal behavior. I wouldn't necessarily consider either "punishment," but rather a form of corrective conditioning, lol.

Some of the kids (5th Kyu and above) who train in the Advanced / Adult class, from time-to-time are assigned pushups or timeout for off-nominal behavior. I wouldn't necessarily consider either "punishment," but rather a form of corrective conditioning, lol.

I like this "Corrective Conditioning".... :D