• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punishment in the Martial Arts

My school is a fairly traditional Shotokan style school, and we often use pushups, or holding the pushup position as punishment for misbehavior or not listening to the instructor.

I know there are varying schools of thought on using physical punishment like that, particularly pushups, but I think there is some validity to it. When I started karate long long ago I lacked much of the discipline I have now from such punishment.

So here is my question: Do you use punishment as an enforcement method in your school? If so, what form does it take?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I NEVER use physical punishment in my dojo..ever!

If the problem is with a child in class, I talk to them about it. If the problem persists, I talk to the parents about it. If it still persists, I kick them out of the class.

If the problem is with an adult..I talk to them about it. If the problem persists, I kick them out of class.

Can you tell I'm not trying to make a living out of teaching? lol

Basically, I teach people that are there to learn. If they want to waste my time and theirs, then I don't want them in class.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

We rarely have to use punishments in class but if we had to I guess it would be sit-ups or press-ups or some other exercise. The class as a whole does get given exercises to do if my instructor thinks we're not trying hard enough.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When I teach in the dojo it's almost always push ups for not paying attention during a lesson. When I teach privately it's either push ups or hard body conditioning as punishment. That depends on the level of the person.

I use very minimal physical disciplinary measures. The only time that I use it will be when a student, children AND adults, especially a new student, is late to class. In that, one of my Sempai's will quietly intercept that student and remind them of the dojo Kun as well as their duties and responsibilities to themself, to the Hombu, and to their fellow students. The student will then do push-ups in a corner that's away from the class in progress while the Sempai watches. Students that have been there awhile already know what to do when they're late and they just drop down and start pushing before being bowed into class.

More often than not, speaking with the student(s)/parents in the privacy of my office is more effective. Very rarely will I have to scold a entire class verbally during class, but, it does happen. Counseling should be done in private and not in front of the entire class because I wouldn't want to be disciplined publicly, therefore, I don't do it to others.

I've always lived by this philosophy...DON'T ATTACK THE PERSON; ATTACK THE PROBLEM! If I attack the person with "You", then I make it a personal attack to the student, but, if I attack the problem, then the student knows that I'm not happy, but, together, we address the problem and then solve the problem together.

NEVER DO I EVER PHYSICALLY DISCIPLINE ANY STUDENT!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!