• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting fed up, any experiences of sudden loss of interest?

TokyoSuitsMe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there everyone,

TokyoSuitsMe, I know exactly what you are going through. I started training in Karate when I was 12 and reached 1st kyu when I was 17 or 18 at which point I stopped. I became very busy with school and work and also, truthfully, I had lost that passion. Then about four to five years ago that spark was re-kindled and I realised that karate was and is my true first love. Now at the age of 30 i have finally achieved the rank of Shodan and i don't feel like slowing down.

So I guess what i am trying to say is maybe you should take a break (the length of which is up to you) and rer-assess your situation. I guarantee that if your heart belongs to karate you will find your way back.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you find your path.

BOW TO LIFE

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently 6th kyu about to take 5th and for the first time since I started training I am beginning to get fed up with it all. I'm finding it so difficult all of a sudden and I feel like I'm never going to 'get it'. I see the black/brown belts and think I'll never be able to do what they do so why am I bothering anymore.

I don't want to feel like this because deep down, karate is very important to me but I'm having to force myself to turn up training and I dread it.

For the past few weeks I've had the odd moment where I've considered quitting altogether. I know I'd regret it but I just feel so unmotivated with it all right now.

Has anyone else ever felt like this and gotten over it?

It happens. Normally in the mid-range grades or approaching brown/black there's almost always a big drop-off in numbers where people either have enough or panic or whatever.

When I was 5th or 4th Kyu I found the increased amount of freestyle or semi freestyle sparring I was doing was really really tough because basically I wasn't fit enough and didn't have the cardio to support what I was trying to do. So I stopped training for a year and went to the gym. I tried to do both for a while but eventually stuck with the gym, doing a broad range of resistance training and cardio training designed to compliment my karate, plus some swimming (handy that my trainer was a 3rd Dan Taekwondo instructor and knew exactly the kinds of things I needed).

I meant to return time and time again and simply didnt have the bottle. Until I had enough of the boredom in the gym, ended my membership and returned to karate at the grade I had when I disappeared.

Even after the weights, the running, the cross-training, the swimming... one session back in karate and the next week my chest, arms, and back were all aching!! Just goes to prove that martial arts is simply a different kind of fitness altogether.

The point of the story is, I got right back into it, and have made quick progress since I returned. And the time out I had and training I did outside the dojo was beneficial.

never quit anything that you know is good. just take a break. there has been 2 instances during training that i said the same thing. i just take a month off, then go back. you'll find that the break really helps you recover on all levels and you'll be better when you get back.

so dont give up, you may have just hit a plateau, it happens to everybody. whenever i lose interest i think 'i didnt come this far just to quit'.