• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting fed up, any experiences of sudden loss of interest?

TokyoSuitsMe

After 15 years, I still get to feeling like this from time to time. What you need to do is to try to see something in your training that you feel you do well, and then use that to build on other things.

The next thing you need to do is accept who you are; how you're built, what your skills and abilities are, and then begin playing to your strengths. I've long since giving up on having the kinds of kicks that the longer-legged, lanky, taller, skinny guys have. Instead, I have to play to my body style, and become a good kicker in a different way.

Take the time to focus yourself, and see which way you want to go. Also, take some time outside of class to do something different with your training. It may help to reveal something that swings your attitude back into training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not you, it's the tests. Some levels really are noticeably more difficult than others in some styles. In my style Green (6th kyu) and Purple (4th kyu) seemed to have more new stuff to learn than other tests. I was told it would take a bit longer because of the additional requirements (new strikes, pins, escapes, etc) and also because these levels were sort of a checkpoint where they look for more subtle things like improved balance, control, aim, etc. Either or both may be the case at your school and it would be quite normal.

I don't know how common this is but I'll toss it out anyway. The way I dealt with this was by really drilling the heck out of one or two of my problem movements (at home and during any open mat time in class) until I had it down. Then I at least had something to show off to Sensei when I went back to class. I found this easier than learning half a dozen advanced techniques and then trying to perfect them simultaneously. The smallest amount of progress could sometimes keep me going for a while.

Of course there's lots of other good advice in this thread too. I'm just giving you another option to choose from.

Good luck in your training.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I might seem uncaring and unfeeling with what I'm about to say, but, let my uncaring and my unfeeling preface my compassion. I've been there and in that, I understand what you're going through...and so has/does every other martial artist.

Only thing I can do is to encourage a student to continue in the martial arts. By this, I'm not going to do cartwheels or beg. I'm just going to outline the pros of the martial arts.

After that, if a student wants to quit, then quit. I've not much sympathy for those who just want to quit to quit. I'm not going to get many to support my feeling on this, but, that's cool. The student came to me to learn the martial arts, I didn't come to the student. I understand why students want to quit because the martial arts isn't for everybody. Now, when a student gets a bad instructor, then by all means quit and look for a good instructor.

Having said that...

I am currently 6th kyu about to take 5th and for the first time since I started training I am beginning to get fed up with it all. I'm finding it so difficult all of a sudden and I feel like I'm never going to 'get it'. I see the black/brown belts and think I'll never be able to do what they do so why am I bothering anymore.

Their black/brown belts for a reason. Don't worry about them! You're a 6th Kyu for a reason. Don't worry about that! Be content with the 6th Kyu and be excited that you're about to test for 5th Kyu. Before you became a 6th Kyu you were a 10th/9th Kyu and when you were that white belt watching the 6th Kyu's, you probably thought to yourself quitely the very same thing about those 6th/5th Kyu's, but, you made it to 6th Kyu and now you're ready to test for 5th Kyu. Stand tall and be proud of yourself. It's suppose to be hard! It's suppose to be difficult! It's suppose to be impossible! But, you made it to 6th Kyu and before you were a 6th Kyu you said the same things to yourself when you were 9th Kyu and then when you were a 8th Kyu...but...now you're 6th Kyu and darn proud of yourself and you should be. Be a 6th Kyu getting ready to test for 5th Kyu and let the brown belts and the black belts be what they are; advanced to you, but, that's cool because in the martial arts, there will always be someone better/higher rank than you. When you were/are helping a lower rank than yourself with whatever, didn't you feel good to be helping them through their difficulties at hand? Sure you were because what they were struggling through was easy for you and you remember how hard it was for you when you were where they are now. SAME THING! Whenever one sees something new, the first reaction is..."I CAN'T DO THAT!" and/or "I'll NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THAT!" But before you knew it, you were able to do exactly that and very well. Just keep driving and training and practicing HARD and with great purpose! Don't just go through the motions but experience and feel and discover those motions! When you fall down, get right up, dust yourself off, and continue with the training/practicing!

Bruce Lee put it well...

"Before I studied the art, a punch to me was just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick no longer a kick. Now that I've understood the art, a punch is just like a punch, a kick just like a kick." This is you, this is me, this is every martial artist. You will understand in time, but, even then, you'll continue to seek perfection in yourself as well as your martial art. Patience is a virtue, and in this virtue, you'll find yourself in your complete totality.

Now, burnout is something totally different because that happens from time to time with everybody, martial artists included. I've reached burnout many times over 4 decades of training in the martial arts, but, having a supportive student base and a supportive/driving Sensei has helped me work through the burnout to rekindle the flame within.

Burnout wise, list the pros and cons about your martial arts training/experience; if after listing the pros and cons step away from the list. If your con list is longer than the pro list, well, analysis it carefully to see what might've created the cons, after that, make the list one more time. Then if the cons outweigh the pros, well, there's no use in pursuing the martial arts.

Gook luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Usually I disagree with at least some of your post, sensei8. We just seem to have different outlooks/opinions.

But in this, I agree with you completely. Sometimes it is important to step back, and look at how far you have come, and be proud of it!

If your climbing a mountain, and you only ever look forward, then you will only see how far you have to go. But if you turn around and look back, you will see how far you have already come, and it will give you courage to continue.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Usually I disagree with at least some of your post, sensei8. We just seem to have different outlooks/opinions.

Usually? Ouchy!!!

Hopefully I'm in with good company!...or...Am I the only one?

:P :lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nah I disagree with lots of people as I tend to be highly opinionated, I just usually keep my mouth shut unless I feel its really worth arguing ;)

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Thanks for the replies. I have been back training again since I posted this and my motivation is coming back. I think the problem is, up until that point, everything had seemed relatively easy. I'd gone through the grades without much work and then all of a sudden I hit a barrier. It completely knocked my confidence and made me question whether I could actually do this.

I then realised how ridiculous it would be to quit at the first hurdle :lol: It's supposed to be hard work, I've just got off easy up to now. I've now hit the point where I need to work at it and I guess that's good, it means I'm ready to move on.

Thanks for the replies. I have been back training again since I posted this and my motivation is coming back. I think the problem is, up until that point, everything had seemed relatively easy. I'd gone through the grades without much work and then all of a sudden I hit a barrier. It completely knocked my confidence and made me question whether I could actually do this.

I then realised how ridiculous it would be to quit at the first hurdle :lol: It's supposed to be hard work, I've just got off easy up to now. I've now hit the point where I need to work at it and I guess that's good, it means I'm ready to move on.

Awesome! Glad to hear you're overcoming the hurdle. You reminded me of a line my sensei once said, "If martial arts were easy, everybody would have a black belt." I doubt its an original line from him, but its definitely a valid point. Keep it up, train hard, and you'll be able to look back at the various challenges in your training that you've overcome with a nice sense of accomplishment.

Thank you :) like you said, if it was easy, everyone would be a blackbelt.

I don't want to be handed a black belt, I could go and buy a black belt tomorow but it doesn't make me a black belt.

I want to earn it and now that I'm being made to work for any progress I make, I know I'll appreciate my next grade so much more.