• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello! New to the forums.

KarateGeorge

Hello everybody. I just discovered these forums a few days ago and have been lurking around reading posts. Since this seems like a pretty good group of people here, I thought I'd venture out from lurker status and introduce myself.

My name's George, and I've been practicing karate for about 6 years, and currently have a Sho Dan ranking. I had to take a little over a year's hiatus due to scheduling conflicts caused by going back to graduate school for my Masters degree.

After about a year away, I couldn't stand being away from karate any longer and decided to get involved with my old school again. Unfortunately due to the poor economy, my instructor closed the school down but he has been teaching out of his home gym which is significantly further away from where I live and he's cut his hours back. So right now I'm limited to going in on the Saturday morning class to help teach the kids. Teaching the kids is pretty fun, but obviously I don't get much of a workout of my own doing it, so I'm currently looking around at different schools near me that I can get some additional training of my own, probably a different style to be able to learn something completely new. I've found out the class schedules of a couple nearby schools and now just need to go check them out and see if any of them are a good fit for me.

Anyway, as stated, my background is Shuri-te karate but my Shihan also trained to brown belt in TKD before switching to karate, so he incorporates some of what he learned from that as well, along with a few things he's learned over the years from other various arts and added to the mix. In addition to karate, I trained in Wing Chun for about a year, but had to give that up because of those darn scheduling conflicts. I'm looking forward to finishing my Master's so that I can get involved in a more active manner again!!! :D

Well, I've rambled on long enough...it's good to be here and hopefully I'll be able to learn a lot from you all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 5 weeks later...