• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gender Issue

Dee I am a 45 year old girl who loves the martial arts. I am also 2nd dan. I think there is a thread around this forum somewhere for females to introduce themselves to each other. And we have a lot more female members than we used to. And a lot of active ones.

So I am off to do a search. And don't let anyone put you or your efforts down. A great part of living a satisfying life is doing the best at whatever it is that you try to do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who say women shouldn't do this or that because they have a slighter build need to get a life. Self defense training is a worthwhile endeavor, even for the 98 lb man who may have to defend himself against a 250 lb woman! :lol:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

In some schools (like mine :wink:) women martial artists are treated no differently than men rankwise. For example, women at gold belt and up are expected to be able to withstand the same intensity of contact as men of the same rank. This is good and not good. From the standpoint that it

teaches women a more realistic viewpoint on what can happen in a true self defense situation, it’s good. But rank for rank is usually not pound for pound when it comes to sparring and self defense.

That’s why professional boxing matches limit the weight differences to about 4 pounds. It’s not that women are pansies necessarily (think about childbirth) it’s that they’re usually outweighed by 20,30 or even 100 pounds! If you’re a guy, six foot and 200 pounds, then fighting a five foot, 100 pound female might not seem like that big a deal (to you). But reverse the proportions and think about fighting a guy 7’2" and weighing 400 pounds ... It’s the same ratio! Is that a fair fight? I think not!!!!!

Then theres the flip side.... The guys take it super easy on women and they never really learn what a real attack feels like ... so they may be lulled into a false sense of security, thinking they can successfully defend themselves when in reality they just don’t know. Then again, some instructors

won’t even allow women the opportunity to test their skill in sparring against the big guys. I was at the receiving end of a powerful sidekick to the ribs (which were damaged) from one of those big guys early on in my training but it taught me how to block

more effectively in the future!

So overall, guys should help women by being realistic in self defense attacks without going overboard by breaking ribs (or noses) in sparring. Are there guys out there like that? Sure there are, and as women we can also help them learn what we expect and how to handle sparring and self defense situations appropriately.

"Not too hard, not too soft, but just right". Most instructors who have had women students have enough finesse to help the male students understand this. And a supportive instructor is key.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-15 12:52 ]

When I spar, I go for specific targets.

A crisp snap is all it takes for my opponent to know that he/she was hit.

Some guys will ask to be hit harder...and I do my best to acommodate :bigwink:

When I spar with women I don't hold back in terms of speed of attacks.

If my opponent is smaller or weaker, (which could be either gender) I know enough not to knock them around.

It's just not necessary.

To me sparring is about learning; not proving that you can beat up someone smaller.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

On 2002-07-14 22:20, KenpoChick87120 wrote:

:kaioken: I totaly feel for ya! I get that all the time, honestly one jerk even asked me "your a pink glitter belt then, right?" But when it comes down to it, I know I can defend myself or at least have an advantage... its all good :smile:

I am overjoyed at all the supportive posts like this one. It's great to know I can count on you guys.

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Yeah, go for it Dee.

I just realized that girls are actually outnumbering the guys in my class. (Although it varies, and there are other classes that could have a different balance.)

Despite my post earlier, there are plenty of "small demons" in my class as well, particularly some of the young women. In some ways they are harder to spar, because with two grown men, we exercise a certain control. Some of the younger/smaller ones seem to think "ooh, a big guy, I'll have to try hard" and just go hell for leather, hitting as fast and hard as possible. They get in under your guard and cause much grief.

Bon, my point is not that grappling is useless (far from it). But I feel that there is a "range" of weight/strength outside which it becomes difficult. The more skilled you are, the bigger the range. I'm sure an expert judo/jitsu-ka or aikido-ka can pretty much cope with the full range of human builds. (None of the soft-arts founders were big guys - most were tiny). But I do think it takes more expertise and training to get to this level, whereas anyone can learn very quickly to kick hard to the groin - it takes minimal practise to be effective and deliver "sufficient force", even if you're small.

THEN you can learn the more advanced stuff that takes longer to master and make effective.

I train with a guy who did Aikido for a year. I asked if he had any techniques he could use against me during sparring. He didn't. One year of training, and he freely admits he learnt nothing he can apply against basic karate attacks. (I get the feeling his opinion of Aikido is not very high...) Doesn't stop him from planting a hook kick learnt only last week right in my head...

:razz:

Your point about the guard position and a "typical" rape is a good one. Maybe fighting from this position should be a vital technique for women's self defense. I know G95 has a good interpretation of Tekki kata as "fighting in guard", on your back.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

On 2002-07-16 04:33, Taikudo-ka wrote:

I train with a guy who did Aikido for a year. I asked if he had any techniques he could use against me during sparring. He didn't. One year of training, and he freely admits he learnt nothing he can apply against basic karate attacks. (I get the feeling his opinion of Aikido is not very high...) Doesn't stop him from planting a hook kick learnt only last week right in my head...

:razz:

Yeah, I did freestyle kickboxing for a year which had akido in it, I thought I was learning how to grapple as well. I eventually woke up to myself and realised I'd better find a real grappling art. I haven't even done BJJ for 6 months yet, but I feel confident fighting anyone on the ground who hasn't done any grappling. Akido takes a LONG time to learn and as soon as you apply some resistance the techniques become useless.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Anyone who thinks that a woman training in the M.A. is completely without merit.....well then I feel for that person, the first time they get an eye poked out, or a kick to the groin, or a chop to the throat, yata, yata, yata..........

With constant training and practice, the muscle memory will have set in that it'll become automatic. Along with the physical practice must come the mental conditioning as well, which in my opinion comes along with the physical and spiritual part of your training!!! Just my 2cents :smile:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

:pony: In my class s are out numbered but we are all the upper levels.there is only one guys ahead of us and he is our futer teacher. But I know that alot of guys are afraid of me, just because I take karate. Power to me I guess.

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation