• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another New Guy... (with a bad toe)

CoolRaul

Hello!

I'm 31 years old, a truck driver, and new to Karate and Martial Arts. At the beginning of this year I began to live a fit lifestyle, eating better and exercising regularly. I went from 210 lbs (I'm 5'11'') to 177 lbs currently. I've been doing bodyweight exercises regularly. I started truck driving again in June (over the road) but I still get as much exercise as I can out here on the road.

I always wanted to learn Karate for the discipline, strength and flexability I imagined it brings, aswell as confidence. I would love to learn in a classroom or 'dojo' setting but I settled to learn from my best friend who is a black belt and recently began to get back into Karate.

In several sessions over the last few months my black belt friend taught me serveral kicks and some punches, and layed out some plans for me to do Karate Practice/Exercise out here on the road. His thing was always 'fighting' and he won 2nd place at the US Open back in '96 (or 97', not sure) So he ordered some sparring gear and, along with another student, he's been sparring again. I've sparred with him 3 times now, and get better everytime.

My trouble with sparring right now, other than lack of experience, is this arthitic big toe (resulting from an injury years ago) I have on my left foot (strong side). Everytime we spar I end up hurting it on wheel kicks, so much to where I end up going to my weak side the rest of the time. My friend gave me some pointers on using the kicks that I can (hook, side, front..) and just avoid using the wheels, but I wonder if there's something I can do to train/condition that toe to take a hit and give good kicks without pain.

I wonder if theres something I can do to that foot/toe to make it strong enough to land wheel kicks without hurting. Something like repeatedly kicking something solid like a tree or wall, kicking through the pain? Or using a paddle or something to repeatedly hit the toe? Would this do more harm than good? Any ideas? Or should I just avoid wheels and roundhouses on that foot? I also read that liquid glucosamine might heal that joint.

Anyway, I regret this long post, but am glad to be here! Right now I'm still working on my form and kick combinations.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome aboard!

I'd advise against doing anything that causes more trauma to the toe, personally. It's not a matter of conditioning a healthy body part, it's a matter of dealing with a legitimate previous injury. You'd probably be better served by working to adapt around the injury with your kicks.

Glad you found a friend who has the credentials to bring you along on your journey.

Good luck.

Hi Raul, welcome to KarateForums.

My trouble with sparring right now, other than lack of experience, is this arthitic big toe (resulting from an injury years ago) I have on my left foot (strong side). Everytime we spar I end up hurting it on wheel kicks, so much to where I end up going to my weak side the rest of the time.

Since it's from arthritis and not from poor technique, you have to listen to your body.

My friend gave me some pointers on using the kicks that I can (hook, side, front..) and just avoid using the wheels . . .

He knows what he's talking about. He's probably met lots of martial artists who can do this but can't do that. The full-contact kickboxer Bill Wallace couldn't use his right leg for kicking due to a permanent knee injury, and his career's one to envy.

. . . but I wonder if there's something I can do to train/condition that toe to take a hit and give good kicks without pain.

Nature will not conform to our desires, no matter how sincere they are.

I wonder if theres something I can do to that foot/toe to make it strong enough to land wheel kicks without hurting. Something like repeatedly kicking something solid like a tree or wall, kicking through the pain? Or using a paddle or something to repeatedly hit the toe?

You'll do more damage and then be unable to do other kicks.

I weight-trained for twenty years. There's a big difference between getting sore muscles to warm up and working through the pain of what is an injury. The injury worsens, and then other exercises can't be done. I'm speaking from experience. I ask you the favor, Raul, of taking the mistakes I made in the past, especially when I was new to weights, and factor them into your position in the martial arts.

I also read that liquid glucosamine might heal that joint.

When I weight-trained, I put a lot of stress on my joints. In my case in particular it was the knees. I took glucosomine-chondroitin tablets, available from a health food store or online, and they were a valuable asset for me. Don't forget the chondroitin. It's like take calcium tablets but no magnesium to work with the calcium.

Enjoy what you can do in your training. You don't have to keep up with your black belt friend; you're learning from him. I think it's great to have someone to share martial arts with, especially if he's got knowledge you can tap into.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Thanks, Joe, for you excellent response! I will take your advice. Tomorrow I'm going to do my Karate practice and will start practicing kick combos on my strong side (maybe soon to be weak side?) that don't incorporate the wheel or round. I'm finding how Karate is a great mental exercise as well as physical.

My friend has told me about Wallace and lent me one of his books. Looking forward to growing and learning more!

I agree with what Tallgeese said (and speaking from experience with various prior foot injuries) - I would NOT put more trauma to the toe. If you can wrap or tape it securely while you train, that might help.

Also, don't know if its true or not but I did hear that chondroitin and/or glucosamine might raise the cholesterol levels (if you are watching your cholesterol levels) but you might want to ask your doctor if that is actually a myth or not.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert