• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure point karate?

Preasure points are like adding a little racing fuel to your sports car. A little can boost preformance. Too much and you flame out and burn down.

Over relying on preasure point work gets you into trouble. A little mixed in with what your doing and it can't hurt what your doing.

Most of the ones that work well are where nerves cross or ride over bone, where muscles end/cross. A lot of them set where you will be hitting in a lot of the close in techniques. So, if you miss a point, the technique still works. If you happen to hit it, the effect is magnified.

My favorites are at the midline of the thigh, the mid-neck along the carotid(we call it the golden triangle because of three tightly packed points) and the base of the skull where it joins the neck(Chinese medical point GB 20). Each have good reasons to work, aren't hard to hit in most situations, and have great payoff even if you don't hit the point correctly.

When it comes to defensive techniques, I like the belt and suspenders approach. Where one thing is good, backing it up is even better. A thigh kick aimed at the mid point of teh thigh hits a GB point. If it isn't right on the money or that nerve is more burried, fine, I still break the attackers balance.

I think why some of preasure point proponents go for the "no touch" and energy manipulation things is the "Wow" factor. It gets people's attention and makes what they have to teach seem even more impressive. Brings in more people than "kick hard here, if it hits, he's in trouble, if not, he's still hurt." Not dishonest persay, but it's like showing the 720 aerial kick instead of how to put a lot into the front kick.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressure points are something to be studied and known, but almost anyone you talk to will tell you, it doesn't matter what part of you I hit, if I hit you hard enough, you're going down. I think I've heard it several times from several different masters. Basically, rely on your technique, your power, and your timing to do the work.

I agree.

The whole thing with pressure points, etc., is the mystique. Things that are now common knowledge and people evolved with higher tolerences have shorten the effectiveness.

In other words, these were laid out to be great way back then when people did not know better, or the populace knew little of the body.

It is all superfluously adduced, that there are those who swear by it without tangible evidence. They rather hold onto unrealistic thinking, thus having others to think the same way.

For decades, I have studied, attended seminars, and observed in the "field", sort to speak, that although these can induce pain, discomfort, etc., as it was said, it is all circumstantial and individual-specific.

Last, no opponent in a real confrontation is going to "just stand there" and allow such be done.

In other words, real confrontations happen so fast, opponents are on the move, and other factors, will not allow such thing to be accurately presented or applied.

We sometimes work with pressure points. You NEED control to practice effectively. It's not likely you'll get the chance to use them in a real fight, but its handy to be aware of particular weak points if you get the chance, especially in the neck area.

We sometimes work with pressure points. You NEED control to practice effectively. It's not likely you'll get the chance to use them in a real fight, but its handy to be aware of particular weak points if you get the chance, especially in the neck area.

I am not saying they are totally useless. I have done these as parlor tricks and demos. In the real world, they maybe able to stop or thwart an attacker. But, the chances are more improbable, than impossible.

In my experience(s) and observations, for example, I rarely seen anyone get kicked in the groin sucessfully, let alone often. The most painful and hardcore groin injuries I have ever seen, where acccidental.