• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New go matial arts: beed help!

Abari Isamu

finally found out where to post this! So I am new to martial arts and dont know wat the best style is to go. I am a big fan of japanese culture so I'd like to be able to do something to tie them into each other if possible.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the Forums. :karate:

First off, you need to see what is in your area, and then decide what it is that you would most like to do. Then, go check out a class at each place, and see which entices you the most. That's the easiest way to make your decision.

Welcome aboard!

I agree, check out what you have in the area. Think about focusing on some of the more traditional arts in your area, or the ones that typically embarce more of the cultural side of things. Aikido might be a good starting place to look at or a similar system.

Good luck and keep us posted.

wotcher :)

Humans say the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Why? Do they think there's a

shortage of bad ones?

Karm'Luk P'an Ku, "The Joy of Lucidity" CY 8633 (Andromeda)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums!

As was already mentioned, first step would be to figure out what your options are in your area. Once you find some schools, check them out, and see which ones you like. Also, take into account what type of training interests you. Are you looking for a kicking/striking art, a grappling art, a weapons art, etc.? That may make a difference in whether you choose say a karate style, judo, aikido, kendo, or one of the other Japanese styles. Sorry I can't give you a specific answer, but there are a lot of variables. Whatever you choose though, congratulations on taking the step to start learning martial arts. That first step is often the most difficult, but once made, can lead to a lifetime of learning.