• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginner in Karate: What style should I go for?

Abari Isamu

I checked out the places that you guys have told me about and a sat at their classes for a couple hours over the past few days and I decided to check out taekwando at a place called ATA black belt academy, i was told by an instructed that it does have some traditional background to it and has been in the area for 21 years. It is also AKA certified and has national and world championships. Plus i was told it has a mixture of hand-to-hand aswell as some weapons too, so I think I might like it. Ill let everyone Know how it goes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Abari Isamu,

I did provide you two links for schools in your area, but, I'm not recommending or not recommending either of them to you. I'm just making you aware of them in your area.

Again, VISIT EVERY SCHOOL MANY TIMES before you decide. Also, DON'T SIGN ANY CONTRACTS!!!! This is my advice to you!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I checked out the places that you guys have told me about and a sat at their classes for a couple hours over the past few days and I decided to check out taekwando at a place called ATA black belt academy, i was told by an instructed that it does have some traditional background to it and has been in the area for 21 years. It is also AKA certified and has national and world championships. Plus i was told it has a mixture of hand-to-hand aswell as some weapons too, so I think I might like it. Ill let everyone Know how it goes.

Well, it's up to you! I'm the wrong person to give you any advice about the ATA because I've my own personal issues with the ATA.

Now, the ATA does require CONTRACTS and their binding. In that, if you decide a month or two down the road that the ATA isn't for you, well, you're still going to have to pay until the contract expires.

If you want more info on the ATA, then may I suggest this to you...ask bushido_man96 who's right here at KF!!!!!!!!!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

ok one last question to sway my choice, I went to ben anderson and he has very small class of 7 and is jka certified but hes a little ways away. I went to another which is large but isnt certified at all but once was and the teacher is jka certified in his belts. So would it be worth it to join even if he isnt certified at the moment? Hes been around for about twenty years or so.

Abari Isamu,

Again, VISIT EVERY SCHOOL MANY TIMES before you decide. Also, DON'T SIGN ANY CONTRACTS!!!! This is my advice to you!

I second Sensei8 with regards to signing any Contracts. TKD is a good style but it unfortunately, is a victim of the McDojo Fever. They are more like Belt factories than Martial Arts Schools. However you do find "real" TKD Dojangs about here and there.

I tend to warn people off "Black Belt Academies" and "Family Martial arts Centres" and Huge organisations such as GKR (they have Kyu grade Sensei' running some of their classes) as they tend to be belt/programme factories.

I hope that the school you have chosen is not within this group and indeed has good instructors etc.

Edited by Dobbersky

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

On the flip side, contracts are fairly common these days in any commercial institutions, even good ones. It's more the norm than not.

Think about it, there's such a huge turnover rate in ma's, any ma's, that locking people in to a year is just a good idea. It keeps them around and maybe salvages a career in the ma's because they don't want to waste the money. I haven't been at a good place, even to train as a guest, where there wasn't a method in place to break the contract in good standing for medical reasons, unforeseen events, ect.

If everything else looks good, I wouldn't let the presence of a contract be the factor that holds you up.

All the advice, links, and time given to help me in my choice to decide which dojo to join. I have decided to go with Shotokan. It isnt JKA or AKA certified but it has been in the past for serveral years and has several JKA trained and certified black belts and has a total of 100 years of experience and has been in existance for 30 years. So I thank everyone for their help and concern, thanks.

Well, it's up to you! I'm the wrong person to give you any advice about the ATA because I've my own personal issues with the ATA.

Now, the ATA does require CONTRACTS and their binding. In that, if you decide a month or two down the road that the ATA isn't for you, well, you're still going to have to pay until the contract expires.

If you want more info on the ATA, then may I suggest this to you...ask bushido_man96 who's right here at KF!!!!!!!!!!

Not all ATA schools are likely to require contracts. Many larger ones may, but there are likely to be some club-level ATA dojangs out there that don't. You may also speak to them about going without a contract. They may be willing to work with you.

My old ATA instructor went to using contracts, mainly because of the EFT billing format. He didn't want to be a bill collector; he wanted to worry about teaching. So, its easier on instructors, especially if they have loads of students. Ask about the contract info and what it pretains to, before shutting off the idea of the contract right away.