• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Competitions?

Bastich

Go and have fun, like everyone else has said. If you go to win, you'll probably be dissapointed. And, like others have said, every tournament that I have been to has had divisions by age and rank, so you should be fine.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That first one is always a nerve racker. But, give it a shot; it might be another guy's first one, as well. You'll meet some great people, and you should have a good time, too.

Go for it! Tournaments can be educational, beneficial, and FUN! Tournaments provide new friends who share in the martial arts. Tournaments let us see what it's like on the other side of the fence, not just in our backyard, but, across the world.

Go for it! Take a sip, just a small sip, and you'll soon find that Tournaments/Competition can be good. There are bad tournaments, but, that's for another topic.

I just want to encourage you to go for it!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I would also like to point out that in the past 15 years, the Anual JKA All Japan National Championships has been won 11 times by men in their 30s and 40s. Similarly, 6 out of the past 7 Funakoshi Cup World Karate-do Championship Tournaments were won either in kata or kumite by people in their 30s 40s and 50s.

In fact, Taniyama Takuya won the All Japan Championship in 2007 at age 42.

Also, Imura Takenori won first place in kata at the Funakoshi cup at age 54.

Lastly, the 2008 all-around US national champion in my organization is 40 years old, and he is moving on to an international competition next year.

My sensei explained it like this: In your 20s your body is at its strongest, but in your 60s your mind is at its strongest due to having more life experience and emotional maturity. Since it takes both sides of the coin to train karate well, most open-age competitions are won by people in their 30s & 40s.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

most open-age competitions are won by people in their 30s & 40s.

What? Nothing for us over 50 people? Well...I never!

:) :P :lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

most open-age competitions are won by people in their 30s & 40s.

What? Nothing for us over 50 people? Well...I never!

:) :P :lol:

:brow:

Imura Takenori won first place in kata at the Funakoshi cup at age 54.

(In case you were wondering, YES, I mostly just wanted to use that eyebrow face)

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

If you go to win, you'll probably be dissapointed.

A wise man once said "You learn more by losing than you could ever learn by winning." :karate:

Yeah...but, Vince Lombardi also said something to the effect of "...winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing..."

My sensei explained it like this: In your 20s your body is at its strongest, but in your 60s your mind is at its strongest due to having more life experience and emotional maturity. Since it takes both sides of the coin to train karate well, most open-age competitions are won by people in their 30s & 40s.

You know... My school leans heavily towards the sport / competition side of things. I fit the 30-40 bracket; so call me different, but I'm more into the "emotional maturity" aspects of Karate. Maybe someday I'll consider the competition scene. If, for no other reason than to sample other Karateka's style, outside my home Dojo...