• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Competitions?

Bastich

MY Sensei yesterday asked if anyone was interested in entering some competitions for both Kata and Kumite.

I really like the idea of kumite but really dont know whether im ready.

Im only a green belt and although i enjoy sparring during lessons at 39 i just feel that competition is more of a younger mans game.

Should i have a go? Im thinking the experience could be good for my Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the comp you'll only think "i could have done that" later on and when you go - go to have fun and test yourself rather than think "i must win". Beside the training for it will be pretty good and age has nothing to do with anything.

Rule one of Sparring: Beware of anyone who grins the face of obvious oblivion.

Give it a go if you're interested at all. Treat it as a fun learning experiance and take away from it what you can. I've always been impressed with what competition can help you learn if done iwth the right mindset.

At most major tournaments I have been to or judged at, there is an age group of 35-65. So keep in mind your competition (most times) will be about your age or even older. As for your rank, again sparring especially is normally divided up by rank, so the guy you are facing will be new to this too.

If money isn't an issue and you have never competed before - GO. It is well worth the entry fee.

O - bring gatorade, you will need it if your doing both kata and kumite at your best lol.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

If you've never done it before, I have to recommend it, even if you just do kata. It really is an experience that unlike anything else. I wouldn't worry so much about who you're competing against. What's important is just to get out there and do the very best that you can. In truth, you actually learn more from LOSING in a tournament than you do if you win.

Nevertheless, just get out there and give it your all.

I say go for it. Look at it as a learning experience and a great chance to meet people from other schools and other styles.The main thing is not to get too wrapped up in the competition and just do your best and have fun with it.

Semper Fi , Dave

Go for it! Like what is said above it is good way to test yourself and a fun way to meet other people that are interested in the same thing you are and a way to see other styles of karate.

At the tournaments that I have been to the divisions are split up by age and belt ranks like 18 to 35, 35 to 45 and 45up. If you are worried about a green belt competing with a brown belt that usually does not happen. Just to ease your mind. :wink:

I agree, you will most likely be divided into a group with only people of your age and experience level. So don't fret about that.

Besides, in the unlikely event that you were thrown into a division with strapping young blackbelt men, the benefeits may outweigh the consequences.

You know, my first tournament at age 16 I was about your rank, though only about 100lbs. I was also the only girl who showed up that day, so they put me in with 16-17 year-old intermediate boys of all weight classes for kumite. Did I win? No. But going home with second place that day gave me confidence that what I was learning in class could work against much bigger and more able-bodied opponents.

Remember, a tournament is just more training! Rank tests too! So don't be afraid of trying tournaments! They might help you to improve more than you know.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I love the replies to this thread. Helpful and encouraging. :) We have a great community of people!

Patrick