• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts Street Preformers

Just a question. You know how in some places you see street musicians and magaicians, people juggling and stuff. What does everything think about maybe doing katas, or something like that as a way to earn some chump change?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It could be something to try, but you've got to be careful, because it could draw challenges that might not be wanted. It would depend on the area.

The Chinese do Tai Chi in parks all the time, but its a culturally accepted thing there. In Brazil, it might not be odd to walk up on a Capoeira roda. But in the states, it is more likely to draw the attention of thugs that might want to try you.

Well right now im in Adelaide, Australia. And I was just wondering because there are loads of street preformers here, and Im pretty strapped for cash. I think im gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.

• 3 weeks later...

You would need to put in a lot of flash. Capoeiristas looking to busk in the streets use a modified playstyle that focuses on acrobacia and musical crispness; everything works differently since the game becomes much more cooperative and based on flipping and handstanding and flowery calls rather than more pragmatic concerns that most of the audience wouldn't appreciate.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Well right now im in Adelaide, Australia. And I was just wondering because there are loads of street preformers here, and Im pretty strapped for cash. I think im gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.

Go for it. Be sure to work the crowd and demonstrate more than katas. There's a lot more to martial arts than katas. Breaking perhaps? Pressure point strikes? Are you a good kicker?

• 1 month later...

I wonder how he did?. I know where I am I use to do tameshiwari and machiwara demonstrations to raise money for the salvation army. I also worked on Kyushu Jutsu with my students in front of the crowds to get some response from them also. But people want that flash in the pan type of thing. And people are trying to find something more practical than that parkour and freestyle stuff.

It could be something to try, but you've got to be careful, because it could draw challenges that might not be wanted. It would depend on the area.

The Chinese do Tai Chi in parks all the time, but its a culturally accepted thing there. In Brazil, it might not be odd to walk up on a Capoeira roda. But in the states, it is more likely to draw the attention of thugs that might want to try you.

These are called "restricted public demonstrations"