• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Front kick (Maegeri)

Bastich

…But what is in the mind of our students that causes them to throw out the frustrating roundhouse side kick. We know that our students know where their side is, or at least we hope that they do.

Teaching the side kick to look like a side kick is one of the hardest basic kicks that we instructors tackle.

Agreed! This one is one of the toughest to get through to the students of our school.

Sounds like that's a pretty consistent issue across schools.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are referring to the Wado pinan Yondan...

Ok! But, I'm only speaking of the Pinan Yondan as it's done in my style, not Wado or anything else! That's all! I don't care how Kanazawa Sensei does Heian/Pinan Yondan because my style isn't his style and vice versa. Kanazawa is a great example of anything. If Kanazawa wants to keep his foot forward/backwards/twisted/hung on a nail, then...that's cool and it's his methodology.

When I speak in absolutes, please don't misunderstand me, I'm speaking of my experiences and about my style, Shindokan. While I've studied many other martial arts, I can't and don't want to speak out as a voice of authority in any martial art because if I do and I'm dead wrong, then, I sound really stupid, except in Shindokan where I can and will speak out as a voice of authority!

Keage does not mean snap, but I think it has become synonymous with a snapping side kick, just as Kekomi has come to stand for thrust side kick - particularly in Shotokan

Yes it does...in Shindokan it most certainly does! My Soke and my Dai-Soke both taught/teach Kekomi as a thrust and Keage as a snap...period! I believe that they knew/know what the true actual meaning of the two words are because they were both born and raised in Okinawa. Why is Kekomi a thrust and why is a Keage a snap in Shindokan? Soke wanted the understanding of either term to be simple enough for the laymen to understand and to NOT be bogged down with definitions of a word, but, to just execute the technique, because that's what's important. Snap?! Thrust?! Rise?! Great...now just kick!

It's all good!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Keage does not mean snap, but I think it has become synonymous with a snapping side kick, just as Kekomi has come to stand for thrust side kick - particularly in Shotokan

Yes it does...in Shindokan it most certainly does! My Soke and my Dai-Soke both taught/teach Kekomi as a thrust and Keage as a snap...period! I believe that they knew/know what the true actual meaning of the two words are because they were both born and raised in Okinawa. Why is Kekomi a thrust and why is a Keage a snap in Shindokan? Soke wanted the understanding of either term to be simple enough for the laymen to understand and to NOT be bogged down with definitions of a word, but, to just execute the technique, because that's what's important. Snap?! Thrust?! Rise?! Great...now just kick!

I am sure they know what the words have come to represent, but Keage does does not literally mean snap.

Do you have your website up yet?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I am sure they know what the words have come to represent, but Keage does does not literally mean snap.

WNM

Freedict.com says that the translation of "snap" from English to Japanese is "sunappu." I'm not sure that's the best translation for our purposes. :lol:

LOL...oh boy. :roll: I'm at the point right now that I don't care a bent-pin what either of the words, Keage/Kekomi, means, literally or figuratively! When the opportunity presents itself, I'm either going to kick or I'm not going to kick. In that, I don't care what the definition is or isn't, but, I'm going to do my darnest best to make sure it counts and that it's effective.

Nope, almost, but it's [website] been placed on the back-burner for the moment. I'm not going to explain why, but, Brian's aware of some things, and these things for right now will remain private. Sorry!

LOL...oh boy. :roll: I'm at the point right now that I don't care a bent-pin what either of the words means, literally or figuratively!

okay.

Nope, almost, but it's [website] been placed on the back-burner for the moment. I'm not going to explain why, but, Brian's aware of some things, and these things for right now will remain private. Sorry! :)

Who's Brian?

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

sensei8 wrote:

Quote:

LOL...oh boy. I'm at the point right now that I don't care a bent-pin what either of the words means, literally or figuratively!

okay.

I didn't mean this to come across rude, and if I did, I apologize. Neither of us are going to agree with the other on Keage, so, for me, it was starting to become a "can't see the forest because of the trees" thing. I respect you as well as your posts and I've enjoyed them all!

Who's Brian?

Brian is bushido_man96

sensei8 wrote:

Quote:

I am sure they know what the words have come to represent, but Keage does not literally mean snap.

LOL...oh boy. I'm at the point right now that I don't care a bent-pin what either of the words means, literally or figuratively!

okay.

I didn't mean this to come across rude, and if I did, I apologize. Neither of us are going to agree with the other on Keage, so, for me, it was starting to become a "can't see the forest because of the trees" thing. I respect you as well as your posts and I've enjoyed them all!

Who's Brian?

Brian is bushido_man96:)

Ah, come on now sensei8 don't throw in the towel just yet, I really enjoy your input. :)

BTW you never come across rude, you strike me as true gentleman – lets face it, there are not that many Japanophiles on this board – its you and me really bud.

What does Bushi have to do with your web site?

I am confused.

WNM