• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Front kick (Maegeri)

Bastich

Matsumura Seito uses the toe - especially effective in boots or dress shoes.

Shorinkan Shorin-Ryu us the ball of the foot.

It is entirely dependent on the style and the objective - but BOTH are very very effective.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies.

I study shotokan, so it is the "traditional front kick im referring to. Having just acheived my green belt i thought it only right and proper i start working really hard on my kicking technique. I have started a rigourous stretching routine which would be useless without correct technique.

I see alot of posts stating that it will depend on "style", but I would rather not limit oneself that way, and instead, I would state that it will depend on the situation at hand.

If you have nice re-enforced shoes or boots on, then go with the toe kick. If you can form your foot in some looser shoes, go with the ball of the foot. If your going to nail a soft, low target like the groin, you may go top of the foot.

So, I say situation may dictate moreso than style.

I see alot of posts stating that it will depend on "style", but I would rather not limit oneself that way, and instead, I would state that it will depend on the situation at hand.

If you have nice re-enforced shoes or boots on, then go with the toe kick. If you can form your foot in some looser shoes, go with the ball of the foot. If your going to nail a soft, low target like the groin, you may go top of the foot.

So, I say situation may dictate moreso than style.

Agreed, and I should have mentioned that. I was operating under the assumption that we were just discussing the kick in the most general of terms. How it is practiced and learned at the most basic of levels.

That's a very good point though, if i was wearing my steel toed boots, I'd be kicking with the tip of the boot, what my toes are doing will be irrelevant. When it comes down to it, chances are that when I actually HAVE to use kicks, I'll probably be in shoes. But on the other hand, practicing in karate class, I still maintain that the ball of the foot is the most common method of practicing any front kick, there are many alternatives, of course.

When using a front kick which part of the foot should be the point of contact to perform the move correctly. Is it the ball of the foot or should the whole of the bottom of the foot contact?

In Shindokan, we use:

*Ball of the foot

*Heel

*Instep

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In Ohgami sensei's book "Introduction to karate" he explains that "Maegeri" (front kick) in Karate is technique to kick forward by using the ball of the foot.

Of course he is also mentions that "Karate is a martial art in which all parts of the human body are to be used".

Furthermore, he suggests that maegeri, or ways to perform a kick to the front can be classified as:

Maekeagi - upwards kick with very little bend of the knee.

Maekekomi - where the knee is lifted as high as possible and the foot is pushed forward in line with the target

Maegeri - where the striking part of the foot takes the shortest route to its target.

Three different ways to perform a kick to the front that allow different parts of the foot to be employed.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I like the ball of the foot or heel for mine. The ball of the foot is the one I use most in basics and kumite, but I find it's less than ideal when wearing my work boots. The one time I've actually used a mae geri at work was with a heel.

Even though I already know the answer, I just have to ask....

Isn't the Axe kick a front kick type?

Of course. If we're talking about conceptually, the fact that any kick to the front is a "front kick," I don't see why not.

Maekeagi - upwards kick with very little bend of the knee.

Maekekomi - where the knee is lifted as high as possible and the foot is pushed forward in line with the target

Interesting way to describe a snap/thrust! I like it!

**Proof is on the floor!!!