• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Ryu...

Matt777

Hi guys, I'm joining a new karate dojo this evening, after not having attended one since I was about 11 or 12 (I'm now 18 ).

I got my 9th Ryu (Orange) grade back then - I found my licence the other day, and there's no record of me taking it in there. I don't really want to go through white again, and I'd rather start from where I was, but I dont have a stamp in my FBSKUI licence/grading book, and Im not sure why. Maybe it hadnt arrived to me by the time of my first grading, as I was only in the club a few months before getting my orange belt.

So I passed the grading but I don't know of any way to prove it, because my licence is blank.

anyone know how to contact the FBSKUI and ask them if im still on their records, or any alternative?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The only alternative is to go through white belt again! Just suck it up and do white belt again. Besides, a refresher never hurt anyone...ever!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

True, it's just a little annoying, since I'll have to pay again...although I'll have to pay for a new licence anyway so I may as well take all the blows at once!

Is it possible in the low grade ryus to take two gradings at once? Because then I could work towards the first two, if I have to retake white (I'll ask my sensei tonight anyway...)

True, it's just a little annoying, since I'll have to pay again...although I'll have to pay for a new licence anyway so I may as well take all the blows at once!

Is it possible in the low grade ryus to take two gradings at once? Because then I could work towards the first two, if I have to retake white (I'll ask my sensei tonight anyway...)

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I hope you don't mind, but the correct word to describe your rank or level is "Kyu". "Ryu" on the other hand means flow or stream and is taken from the word "Ryuha" to describe a particular school or style of Karate - littereally mainstream school, or school of thought.

Unless the school you are about to join is part of the same group you got your belt from originally, it would be entirely down to the discretion of the school as to what grade to start you at. (and even if it was part of the same group a lot of time has passed).

Different schools have different syllabuses and differing standards, what might have been good enough for your old school may be substandard for the new one and vice-versa.

Also you were only 11 when you trained last. You are 18 now and probably a bit different in your shape and build, and as Sensei8 says, its good to recap sometimes - ultimately there is no rush.

WNM

Edited by Wa-No-Michi

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

Ok, thank you. I'm off out there in a bit, and I'm really looking forward to it, so that's more important than what colour belt I have, really. :D

I will let you know how it goes.

Also, I have no idea why I typed 'Ryu', i know its 'Kyu'. :/ Sorry about that.

... I'm really looking forward to it, so that's more important than what colour belt I have, really. :D

Well done,

Thats the best attitude you can have.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

WNM

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

If you came to me with the same story, the only "proof" you would need is doing the requirements. I sense that 7 years later you have probably forgotten a lot if not all of it. With the exception of the money, an orange belt means nothing if you don't know the stuff.

Good luck though.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Totally agree

In most styles Kyu Grades are not honoured as each school has its own ethos and practices

I started a School a few years ago already a black belt in my style and wore a white belt at the class.

Remember a karate ka makes the belt NOT the belt makes the karate ka. Whether you wear a Red Belt 9th Kyu or Red Belt 9th Dan it is what is within that makes you worthy of the grade

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Just go to class, and work out. If he sees that you have enough experience, he might double grade you. If he doesn't, then just go on; you might be more rusty than you thought.