• advertisement_alt

Do you prefer your black belt to fray?

Ti

Do you prefer your black to fray?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your black to fray?

• Yes
    • No

I've had the same black belt for 9 years now and the spots were it gets tied are quite gray and the black materiel is getting a wee bit frayed. I like the look and plan to keep the belt until I am unable to wear it anymore. I simply sew on the new stripes as I earn them, how ever I will replace old stripes should one start coming off.

Am I to think you are outting new stripes on a old belt?

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I recently met Ernie Reyes Sr. & had him sign a magazine cover from 1981. I asked him if the belt he was wearing was the same one on the cover. He said it was.

It was brownish grey, and the embroidery was unreadable. I was surprised the white cotton of the belt wasn't showing through. It was a well-worn belt, to be sure. Every belt wears differently. As MrGoju said, "it does reflects your journey."

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't gotten there yet, but I'd certainly try to keep it 'fresh'. And perhaps buy a new one when the initial one doesn't look too good anymore. While I can understand the 'philosophy' about it, I do wash my belts and want them to be clean and good looking. My black belt wouldn't be different.

My original Black Belt frayed and frayed..... and then fell apart (it was 22 years old at that point.) So my answer is no - I would prefer to still have my original belt unfrayed. Seven years on and I have three and I wear whichever one is closest at hand.

The original black belt that I earned is still in its box unworn. I wear plain cotton black belts in the dojo until they get a bit frayed and then I buy a new one (well they are only £3-50 so I get two or three at a time). I have absolutely no time for those who I have seen thrashing hell out of trees, lampposts and building corners in order to prematurely age a belt. If someone wants to wear a belt until it is frayed then that is up to them but I prefer one in a reasonable state myself.

• 1 month later...

fray = fade?

I dun quite like my belt to fray.

I've spent a fortune for it!

LoL

"The only fights you win are the ones you can avoid..."

"Martial Art doesn't just teaches you how to defend yourself, but it also teaches you about self control..."

I can't stand pickers ! There is a guy that has same belt as me trains almost as much as me but his belt is almost white . Now that would be ok if its only a small difference but mines is only small bit around the knot !

• 2 weeks later...
fray = fade?

I dun quite like my belt to fray.

I've spent a fortune for it!

LoL

To me fray is when the silk begins to come of and thread showing the white cotton underneath . Fade means to turn from black to white through color loss.

I was at a course at wkc world championship years ago. It had suposingly the top ten most known sensei at the time from many styles. Most of there belts had frayed to almost complete white but the bits that had silk still on were still jet black .

While I enjoy the slightly frayed look (when deserved), I can't help but laugh when I see a 14 year old black belt, and then with an extremely frayed belt. Not only are they hardly old enough to have earned the blackbelt (IMHO), but they can't have had one so long that the face is almost degenerated.

I found out from someone who attend the same Dojo, but with a similar opinion to mine, that this is often done with a belt sander. Somewhat similar to the kids who use to grind their skateboards along a curb to make it look used.

None-the-less I like a slight amount of fray, mostly discoloration. I do however believe that the uniform should be kept tidy, and as the obi is part of the uniform the fraying and discoloration should be kept to a minimum.

Cheers,

Patrick