• No

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly do like the bit of fray on my black belt, but I also like when the cuffs on my favorite pairs of beat up jeans start to fray as well... Just my personal general preference really but I just usually like the more worn beat up look.

I got a regular cotton belt 5 years ago when I got my first degree. It is white along the edges at the belt knot, but it isn't noticeable unless you are the one tying it (IE me).

I like it because when I tie it on it reminds me of how far I've come and how far I have to go.

So yes, I like a bit of fray, but only as a personal symbol, not something to show everyone else.

I actually have a pair of black gi pants that I've worn for about 8 years. The knees in them are tissue thin. When I wear them they remind me of where I have come as an instructor, because those worn knees came mostly from kneeling to teach young children.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

If the belt frays through regular wear, sure. If someone does things to the belt to make it fray unnaturally, or prematurely, that's just sad.

My regular belt is begining to fray a bit. I plan to wear it until it falls apart.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

My current black belt has frayed quite a bit, after years and years of use. It's actually more frayed than the belts my instructors wear.

I think it has something to do with the material it was made out of. When I first got it it has some sort of sheen on it, almost shiny like. I honestly can't even remember what brand it is anymore... Anyway, my point is that some belts will fray much more rapidly than others just because of how they are made, even without any effort on the part of the wearer.

My current black belt has frayed quite a bit, after years and years of use. It's actually more frayed than the belts my instructors wear.

I think it has something to do with the material it was made out of. When I first got it it has some sort of sheen on it, almost shiny like. I honestly can't even remember what brand it is anymore... Anyway, my point is that some belts will fray much more rapidly than others just because of how they are made, even without any effort on the part of the wearer.

This is very true. I wore a belt regularly for maybe 10 years that only turned grey. It didn't fray. Go figure.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I've had the same black belt for 9 years now and the spots were it gets tied are quite gray and the black materiel is getting a wee bit frayed. I like the look and plan to keep the belt until I am unable to wear it anymore. I simply sew on the new stripes as I earn them, how ever I will replace old stripes should one start coming off.

• 1 month later...

This is very true. I wore a belt regularly for maybe 10 years that only turned grey. It didn't fray. Go figure.

That's a strong belt!