• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A friend of mine and his wife recently moved out of state, and are considering joining a Jiu Jitsu school in their area. They asked for advice on deciding if that school was worth the investment, but I have never formally trained in Jiu Jitsu. What are some key elements particular to the art that should inform their decision? I understand that determining the quality of a martial arts school is really a matter of preference, but any input would be helpful.

Thank you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are we talking about BJJ or a Japanese JJ school? Each is a bit different in what you're looking for in a school.

Each persons individual goals and rapport within a training environment will indeed be a major factor in how well they like or dislike a training setting. To that end, if they like the school once they try it and it's meeting their goals then they've found a good spot to be.

As for JJJ schools, you're looking at a lot of joint manipulation. A good school should show you integration of striking to facilitate joint work as well. This should be done with a certain amount of "flow" between the two, with a strike setting up a joint manipulation.

At higher ranks, you should also be seeing transitions between joint positions as well. So, a wrist attack might fail which leads to an armbar which in turn reverses to a bent armbar, ect.

Just a couple things I've noticed at good schools of this nature.