• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hobbies

pittbullJudoka

Thanks for sharing, everyone. :)

Jeffrey, what are the board games that you play most? :)

Regarding Facebook, be sure to check out this thread: http://www.karateforums.com/share-your-facebook-url-vt37408.html

Thanks,

Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Patrick the question should be, what don't we play. We started back a couple of years ago to become more social during the winter months instead of all sitting at home on our PS3 or computers.

Here is the list in order of most played.

1) Settlers

2) Talisman

3) Arkham Horror

4) Twilight Imperium

We still play Risk becuase I like the classics and Axis and Allies for sure. We have a friend who collects board games so we always have something new to play.

Do you play any of these yourself?

Oh. I also ice skate. I skate almost every weekend. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Blade96 says:

Oh. I also ice skate. I skate almost every weekend.

Well, I noticed you live in Canada. No wonder you skate! I can remember growing up in Ohio (U.S.) there was a pond near where we lived that froze over, and it was really fun to go ice skating. I was OK at it then, not so much now. Part of the reason, now if I want to go ice skating I have to go to an indoor rink, because Seattle does not get cold enough for outdoor skating. It is not the same! I do remember that I used to love it, long ago when I could do it outdoors and I was not so bad at it! :lol:

Great idea on the thread! =) It's so good to see that fellow martial artists hail from everywhere and have such varied backgrounds and interests!

Personally, besides Shotokan, I enjoy many things:

- Video games (d'oh, I should be studying): currently on PC - Starcraft, COD4 MW, TF2, L4D2, etc.,

- Classical piano,

- Cooking,

- Volunteering as a first aider and at the hospital,

- Juggling with a prop called the diabolo,

- And I guess just spending quality time reading National Geographic.

I'm not a big sports person. I personally suck at every conceivable sport besides karate and badminton.

Do you just skate blade96 or do you play hockey alsoÉ

Na dont play hockey, I just skate. and yeah when people think of Canadians and canada they think of skating and hockey.

Though i did use what i was taught in figure skating lessons to teach my nidan a couple things while doing kiba dachi. ;) Like when crossing over your legs (crossovers while standing still) while sideways doing kiba dachi to keep your weight as much in the center as you possibly can cause if you lean to far forward or 2 far back you'll wind up going on a diagonal course instead of straight across. and with ice skating its the same. You're doing a kiba dachi even though I did know that back in 2008 when i wasnt even in shotokan!

Hey, I guess I can teach a nidan something, even though I'm a 9th kyu =]

My nidan was impressed btw and said 'well thats the key then. we need to do more ice skating' LOL.

Skating and shotokan have quite a bit in common, another one is when you're moving forward to sparr say in zenkutsu dachi you have to keep knees bent and stay low and stay at same height not bob up and down. Reason is that it help you keep balance and the opponent has a harder time telling how fast you're coming at them. In skating its the same. when moving forward, you got to keep your knees bent and stay at the same height all the time otherwise you'll lose balance (despite the fact that many figure skaters skate with their knees absolutely straight, Dont ask me how in the name of all thats holy in this world and the next how they manage to skate like that, but they do it)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

That's pretty neat, Jeffrey. There's just some allure of a board game. I don't play that much, though. We used to play a bit in the past, but... just busy and all. :) Scrabble is probably the one we played last, but I used to like Monopoly. I never really played the strategy games, etc.

Patrick

Oh board games. I love scrabble. Monopoly is just too damn long (unless you play first time-buy, second time-hotel). Risk is really fun too. but my personal favorite is Pandemic. It's a coop game tackling a world epidemic (*cough*swine flu anyone?*cough*) and it's really a good game! Due to its coop nature, my friends and I are less likely to get verbal as in Risk hahaha

Oh board games. I love scrabble. Monopoly is just too damn long (unless you play first time-buy, second time-hotel). Risk is really fun too. but my personal favorite is Pandemic. It's a coop game tackling a world epidemic (*cough*swine flu anyone?*cough*) and it's really a good game! Due to its coop nature, my friends and I are less likely to get verbal as in Risk hahaha

risk and monopoly, haha, I kick butt at it. when i play risk i dont get any lower than second place, and ditto with monopoly. My dad taught me to play risk and - I won very first game i played. =] monopoly i played and got second in my first game i think

Scrabble - I kinda suck at though.