• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hobbies

pittbullJudoka

And strange, as anyone here, upon their starting in martial arts, or some time or another, were given gifts or items, oriental in nature-subject, because non martial artists who gave them, believe this is appropriately linked?

Hah!!! Very true! :lol:

What did you get?

At first, I got oriental vases and fans.

Then it was statues like Buddha, deities, Samurai, and Geisha.

Why coulldnt anyone give me a rare or expensive sword.... :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly cheap little oriental trinkets and things to place on my desk.

Now...I actually did get a sword as a gift once. It wasn't rare or expensive by any means, but still...it was a sword. The Christmas after I got my black belt, the owner of my school gave all of his black belts a sword. The night that he handed each of us a sword, I was really glad I had gotten that black belt a couple months prior. :D

Mostly cheap little oriental trinkets and things to place on my desk.

Now...I actually did get a sword as a gift once. It wasn't rare or expensive by any means, but still...it was a sword. The Christmas after I got my black belt, the owner of my school gave all of his black belts a sword. The night that he handed each of us a sword, I was really glad I had gotten that black belt a couple months prior. :D

Sounds like me, I gave all my bb swords, or the weapon-item of their choice.

I gave away so many weapons and such, that if I had kept copies for myself, I would have to lease a storage facility.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would bring this thread up for some of our newer members. :) (Or older ones that hadn't yet replied).

Thanks,

Patrick

I'm a hockey fanatic. My team - Detroit Red Wings.

I also like history. and politics. and ice skating. and i collect cards of mostly rookies in the NHL.

Also like to read.

and like movies. also like to hang out with friends and things. I like doing pretty much anything with friends.

Also languages. I studied Russian for 4 years.

btw I have facebook too.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I'm with Blade on the Facebook. I'm a Facebook fanatic.

I also like to sing. I sang in my college choir and I just got done singing with a little group we put together for the Sabbath of Song last week at the synagogue and hopefully we'll do something again soon. I'm looking to find a more consistant choir to join once I get some more time and money (non-religious choirs can be expensive).

I played tennis in college and I'm always up to playing a little if I can find a partner of around my ability, which doesn't happen that much (people are either such beginners that it's boring for me or so advanced that it's boring for them).

I like to swim and was a lifeguard through college, but I can't afford a gym membership and there are no public pools around here and all the public ponds and lakes have such a small area designated for swimming that you can't really do laps in them.

So yeah. I guess it seems like I have a good number of hobbies and very few chances to actually do them. That's pretty much right... Martial Arts may turn into the same thing if I get the job I applied for in the middle of the desert.

Oh, and like Blade, I also like History. I was a US History minor in college and love anything having to do with the US Colonial Period. And I was also a German minor in college and I studied that for six years and I've been to Germany once. I'd like to go back some day. I don't get that many opportunities to practice my German.

My hobbies outside of MA:

Cars - Pretty much everything about them. I enjoy car shows a lot and finding nice twisty roads on which to drive. I watch certain races and love to read sports car racing history. Also, I work on them some, but I'm not great at it.

Running - I started running for MA reasons (to improve my stamina) but it now has become a hobby in and of itself.

Target shooting - I enjoy target shooting with both pistols and rifles. I enjoy a good gun show from time-to-time, too.

Soccer - I enjoy playing soccer when I get the chance, which isn't often.

College football - I completely enjoy the college football season. My team (and my alma mater) is the Auburn Tigers!

I would like to try my hand at building models again (cars and military planes), but I don't know if I have the time.

Ed

I am a "news junkie", and when I am not working or training, spend much of my time obsessively following news (national and international) and politics (mostly U.S.) websites, or listening to NPR (national public radio). I'm not really sure why. I think it's kind of like driving by a car crash and just having to look. Besides these things, I enjoy yoga, gardening, playing with my kitties, and listening to music, especially classic rock and jazz.

Hiking - I have the Canadian Rookies 3 hours away so I spend a lot time there.

Target Shooting - IPSC for many years. It's getting more costly every year so I have cut back a bit.

Running - It's mostly my wifes hobbie but she got me hooked and did my first 10 km run in Banff last year.

Coaching Hockey - My son started hockey last year and there was not enough coaching staff so I signed up and enjoy it greatly.

Board Games - It a great way to pass the time in the cold with friends.