• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jeet Kung Do - Style of no style

Transending style and not fighitng, or trying to, with wrote forms is what the writings of early karate founders expected out of their training.

Lee wasn't pushing for anything new. He just let go of the overly developed concern for adhearing, strictly, to tradition.

I somewhat agree, but a lot of his stuff was based upon the foundation of VT/WC

Martial arts and the teachers of, were always envolving. Thus not being set to the preceeding ways. All of which incoproated othe info or methods upon another introduction.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said how you fight and what you teach wouldn't be influenced and shaped by what you were taught and what you trained.

Just pointing out that what Lee was doing and saying wasn't that revolutionary. He just did it during a perior, say between 1950 and 1970 when people weren't talking about doing it. The ones who'd always cross trained and sought out different teachers/forms to complete their training were doing so quietly because they didn't think it was that big a deal. Others were stuck in a "one style to rule them all" mind set. I know a very highly ranked man within Matsubyashi Ryu that thinks you should train one style, perhaps after dabbling a few places when you. Sow those wild oats and get down to the real training in one style sort of mind set. He's from that generation that was fiercely loyal to a single teacher and single style. That's what Lee grew up with too. He was vocal in what he did in breaking away from that linear approach to training.

You can spot his training and stylistic influences from the movements he used and taught. You can spot my training and stylistic influences from the movements I use. Our training make up a sort of finger print, reflecting the impressions and imprints others have made on us as fighters.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

That depends on the teacher. If a teacher is versed in a broad skill set, then it could be a good thing to stick with just him.

Good call. But I really meant to include as long as the loyalty is not blinded.

I still have two of the same instructors. Although we rarely train or workout together

I took up TKD when I was a Jr. Black Belt in Shindokan while I was in high school. One of the main reasons why I took TKD was because TKD practitioners were beating me constantly with their many deceptive kicks. There's no better way to learn how to defend against these deceptive kicks then to learn them and understand them and recognize them at their conception. That's what I did, but, only with the approval of my sensei. What I took away from that one year with GM Young Ik Suh was a solid TKD base, but, I also figured that the best way for ME to stop a TKD practioner is to jam them at the conception of their kick(s).

I've crossed trained my entire life. Shindokan is a great fit for me, but, I also want to know about other styles of the martial arts and in that, I'm like Hem the mouse, learn to adapt and move with the change or die. Shindokan isn't the only way, it's just another way and I want to know more ways.

I'm extremely loyal to by Dai-Soke; I've been with my Dai-Soke for 45 years...is this blind loyalty? NO!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I took up TKD when I was a Jr. Black Belt in Shindokan while I was in high school. One of the main reasons why I took TKD was because TKD practitioners were beating me constantly with their many deceptive kicks. There's no better way to learn how to defend against these deceptive kicks then to learn them and understand them and recognize them at their conception. That's what I did, but, only with the approval of my sensei. What I took away from that one year with GM Young Ik Suh was a solid TKD base, but, I also figured that the best way for ME to stop a TKD practioner is to jam them at the conception of their kick(s).

I've crossed trained my entire life. Shindokan is a great fit for me, but, I also want to know about other styles of the martial arts and in that, I'm like Hem the mouse, learn to adapt and move with the change or die. Shindokan isn't the only way, it's just another way and I want to know more ways.

I'm extremely loyal to by Dai-Soke; I've been with my Dai-Soke for 45 years...is this blind loyalty? NO!

:)

Indeed. Sorta like can't beat 'em, join 'em. However, a instructor with grand knowledge of hand tactics, and combat understanding, would have instructed one how to beat these kickers without having one go to them. For example, if someone comes at one with a bo, one would close the gap, evade, etc., to limit the extension. This is very simular to those kicking at one.

Also, one cannot beat soneone, say who kicks, because one maybe following their rules of sparring, their environment. From my experiences and observations, not too may kicks, esp fanciful ones, are used in actual confrontations.

It is a grand idea to train in multiple arts, though. Provided that there are qualified instructors. The obsticle in training this way, is that one has to "empty their cup" each time they start another art.