• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I Enrolled in Shotokan Classes!!!

SakranMM

I posted a few days ago that I was planning on training alone since I couldn't afford to pay for lessons at a dojo. However, I discovered a traditional Shotokan dojo under the SKIF, and the Sensei gave me a really big discount, so I figure I'd try it for a month and see how it goes.

Here's the dojo website: http://www.bronxshotokankarate.com/

I just watched a class tonight. They began with a traditional bowing-in to the front, then to the sensei, then to the sempai. After that, the whole class spent about 10-15 minutes warming up, then went through basic kihon. Then the sensei broke the class into groups (white belts, intermediate, advanced, and black belts), and worked with each group separately for about 5-10 minutes before switching to the next group (the students not working out sat on the side on watched); each group had about 2-3 sessions with the sensei, working on techniques particular to their level.

After that, they worked on kata in a similar manner. The class closed with announcements and another bowing ceremony. I was hooked, and signed up.

Just wanted to share the news, and say I'm looking forward to training.

OSS!!!

In Christ,

Michael

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm confused by their pricing

FEES - TUITION

1 Month – Unlimited Classes $85.00

3 Months – Unlimited Classes $225.00 ($30.00 Savings)

Yearly Membership Fee $45.00

BTW, congrats!

As FEES are not the same as TUITION, neither are Classes the same as Yearly Membership Fee; they're seperate.

For example, I join the local YMCA. I will have to pay for the TUITION, which in this case is the Yearly Membership Fee. This fee covers administrative costs, as well as, it gives me access into the YMCA facility to use all of the included amenities.

Now, if I want to take "karate" or "cardio" or any dozen or so other classes offered at the YMCA, I will have to pay an extra FEE for these extra curricular activity classes, whether it's monthly or 3 month installments above and beyond the Yearly Membership Fee.

Many martial arts schools charge for a Yearly Membership Fee to be part of the organization/federation/association. This fee goes to the headquarters, not the school. What this fee covers differs from one organization/federation/association to another.

I can join ABC Karate but to reap any benefits and/or to be allowed to participate, I'm going to have to pay this Yearly Membership Fee every year AND then I'll have to pay for my classes monthly or whatever plans are available. More than likely a contract will be required. I'd NEVER sign a contract because most, if not all, contracts are binding, therefore, if something happens to me, then, I'm going to have to pay for it until the contract expires.

Welcome to free enterprise!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Many martial arts schools charge for a Yearly Membership Fee to be part of the organization/federation/association. This fee goes to the headquarters, not the school. What this fee covers differs from one organization/federation/association to another.

We have a yearly fee at our school for association membership. Ours also covers insurance, both in class and at any events/tournaments we attend.

That dojo looks pretty good from the website, SakranMM. Enjoy your training :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Glad to see you're in the martial arts. Usally if an instructor sees you're serious about training and you explain you financial situation they will work with you. For instant I can't afford the normal monthly fees at the place I train my bjj but due to my work scheule I can only make one class a week they cut me a hughe discount. And at the dojo I teach out of we will work with those who are or want to train that have a money situation. We may work a deal out that that person clean gear for dues. We just want people to have the chance to learn as we did.

Glad you found a place you like. This will greatly aid you in a quicker, more reliable progression.

Good luck!