• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Mind Games" article in Oct. 2009 Black Belt

There was an article in the 09 issue of Black Belt titled "Mind Games," by Lee Morrison. In it, he talks about his experiences in applying the Martial Arts.

What struck me in particular were some of his comments on mind set. What I took note of was his statements about being focused on what you will do to your opponent, and not the potential consequences or outcome; what you are going to do, not what the opponent may do.

He also mentions in the article to need to be able to switch off when the threat subsides, and to be able to recognize when this happens. This has been a topic elsewhere, and it is an important piece to consider. You've got to have that stop button, and the approach you take to self-defense should allow for the reduction of force levels as appropriate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree.

Having a deescalation ability is key to staying in the right on stuff like this. I also think that often people worry too much about planning what to do from the bad guys movements and how to counter them. Defiantly just worry about your plan.

More importantly than focusing on what you're going to do is focusing on complete domination or control of the situation. Specific tactics aren't important. Accomplishing the task is. Let what you've drilled happen, don't stagnant it with thought of action. Just act.

Continue to act until the threat is gone.

More importantly than focusing on what you're going to do is focusing on complete domination or control of the situation.

I agree, and this is one area that I tend to have the most problems with, and it is for a few reasons.

1. I worry about not being as big as others. I have been lifting and trying to get into better shape, and get stronger, but do think alot about what others are capable of lifting. Being short doesn't help me with this, either.

2. Build-ups bother me. If crap just starts happening, and I don't have time to think it out, not so much of a problem. But if the situation is building, I start thinking, and that sucks. So, I try to work on these things.

• 2 weeks later...
2. Build-ups bother me. If crap just starts happening, and I don't have time to think it out, not so much of a problem. But if the situation is building, I start thinking, and that sucks. So, I try to work on these things.

Often the lead up to confrontation is far worse than the confrontation itself. We are our own worst enemy in this regard. I think its best to try and take comfort in the training you have done and re-enforce to yourself that regardless of what happens(even worst-case scenario) you will do everything you possibly can to deal with it.

Leadups are the hardest part, because we don't want to intentionally escalate a confrontation. At the same time, we want to be ready for the confrontation. It's hard to stay relaxed.

As far as being small, don't worry about it. Being comfortable in your own skin is very important, and so is technique of course. Know your strengths, your weaknesses, etc. It should make you more comfortable. I'm a small guy too. Well, I'd say more short than small. I'm a hair over 5'8".

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

It's not about not thinking, it's about always thinking rightly and commiting withotu hesitation. There is no need to doubt when you think rightly, but it is good to double think something that is a grave mistake - like giving your back to a grappler. Though, if one unsalvagably errs, it is better to commit whole-heartedly if the error cannot be avoided for then, perhaps, luck will ensue and serendipity will aid.

"It is better to die for one's master than to fight the enemy."

- Hagakure

• 1 month later...

It was a good article, but I'd have to take it in context. There are times when, for whatever reason, I may be unable or unwilling to access the conceptual "Supra State." Say for instance, chatting with friends at the local coffee joint, trying to wake up. Aside from being bleery-eyed, my local spot is in a somewhat affluent and low-crime area. Not exactly the sort of place which invokes an elevated DefCon; admittedly I would need a little more time to react. As opposed to stopping for gas somewhere in a shady part of town -- the sensitivty and awareness factors naturally go up......

Then there's the part of the article which advises disregarding any possible criminal or legal implications. Obviously have to size up every situation, but I've always been taught for every application of force (justified or otherwise) there's a lawsuit. I would muuuuuch rather suffer a black eye, broken nose or other trivial injury demonstrating my part as the attackee, than wind up defending my actions in court. And a lot of the scumbags who are aggressors out there will find a way to sue, or call on "Civil Rights" groups to litigate on their behalf. Even a successful defense can cost the average person dearly.

Also, in many jurisdictions the law makes little distinction between the application of Martial Ability, and other weapons such as guns, knives, asps, baseball bats, axes, etc. Best overall to make sure your actions could be viewed by a third party as "defensive," non-excessive (having the "Off Switch," and timing flip it), and however contrary to what we're trained -- "reactive."