• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, the program I belong to was allowed to sub for a PE waiver for our high school. One of the English teachers leads the program.

Students must attend class at least 3 times a week. One karate class and two conditioning classes, or two karate classes and one conditioning class. A total of four days were offered, but I think my instructor has his hands full with his job and trying to attain another MA degree. So I'm not sure how many days are offered currently.

In the first TKD credit course I took, in my hometown, the class was required to be attended 2 days per week, at least, for an hour each class. The instructor would allow us to attend more classes, though, which was great.

At the most recent one that I took, we were only allowed to take it the one day it was offered, and if we wanted to take any extra, we had to pay a pro-rated fee to attend more classes.

At San Jose State in California, to graduate with a B.S./B.A. you are required to have 2 units of Sports Classes.

Martial Arts Classes which you can take are:

(each class is 1 unit)

Akido

Karate (Shotokan) - Great Class run by 6th Dan Sensei Jay Castellano

Judo - (Judo team Head Coach - Sensei Yoshihiro Uchida with 40 National Collegiate judo titles)

Taekwondo

Tai Chi

I just get a kick out of black belts who take a martial arts class at college for the credits. It's such an easy credit. Now, I don't blame them, shoot, I'd do it myself. It's the credit that I want, and, if I happen to learn something new, then cool!

It's like a pro-bowler taking Bowling 1 and Bowling 2 in college for the credit. Sheech and LOL!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I just get a kick out of black belts who take a martial arts class at college for the credits. It's such an easy credit. Now, I don't blame them, shoot, I'd do it myself. It's the credit that I want, and, if I happen to learn something new, then cool!

It's like a pro-bowler taking Bowling 1 and Bowling 2 in college for the credit. Sheech and LOL!

:P

As a UNIX Admin in the field, I find it funny that colleges want me to take courses such as Introduction to UNIX, and someplaces even Introduction to Computers.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Took an Aikido course for credit at EKU. The instructor taught the State Police at the academy that was attached to the university. Sticking around to work with his black belts was worth missing lunch.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 2 months later...

Travel and Adventure can be a great addition to Martial Arts training. Maintaining a healthy outdoor adventure attitude along with a respect for nature and the living world that surrounds us can make such an experience very rewarding and challenging as well.

For example, rock climbing offers a challenge and opportunity for working as a team. This challenge can be the healthiest form of competition.

One of the great things about rock climbing is it truly allows for living in the moment. To live in the now. When you are on the side of a rock face, your focus in on exactly what is happening right then and there. It is truly and enlightening experience. Rock climbing is also a great excuse to get outside and travel with a group of like minded people who are looking for some adventure. Whether you are an absolute beginner just starting out or an expert climber there is always something for everyone.

Similary hiking, camping and other group activities can eventually go a long way into developing a spiritual attitude towards the art. It will be a way of exploring and developing life skills through training in the Martial Arts.

I took Goju Ryu for a 1 credit class my senior year at Marist College. I loved it, and its what got me into Karate. It was taught by John Jackson, I think was his name, it was quite awhile ago. It was a great way to get introduced to the Martial arts!

Well I don't know if a black belt can be compared to a professional athlete. Anyone can become a blackbelt if they put in the time and effort-- it doesn't take a professional.

I was a lifeguard in college and did competitive swimming in high school, but I took the beginner's swimming class in college (like for people who can't even float) because my friend took it and didn't want to take it alone. It wasn't that bad-- the teacher just used me as the demonstrator for everything and I just got to hang out in the pool and help the other students.