• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MAs for college credits

I was reading "From the Archives" in my Oct. 2009 issue of Black Belt. The section gives highlights from issues of the past. This one is dated July, 1973, and it states that at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana, a Karate club was promoted to being a for-credit course. It was under the direction of Bill Wallace.

I wonder if this was the first incident of this happening in the states or not?

I am also wondering how many of the participants on the forum here have ever taken MA classes for credits at college/university?

I have 6 semesters worth of TKD credit on my college transcripts. :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local community college here in Baltimore County offers Tae Kwon Do and Tai Chi for credit. Also, a friend of mine put together and taught a "History of the Korean Martial Arts" (HU 234) course at my college that ran for a semester (and might run again). That course used Dr. Kimm's book for it's textbook and Hap Ki Do was taught as a lab component to the course. At the end of the course students tested for yellow belt.

Edited by armanox

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I've got a 3 credit hour self defense course on the transcripts. Another 3 hours of rifle/pistol if it counts.

I used to teach the credited self defense course at YSU. They also offer a TKD class for credit. Judo too, I believe.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I attend a local community college and my Information Technology professor (and my Sensei) teaches MA classes there once a week in the evening.

I love it! But unfortunately they don't offer credit for the class. And it's free!

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

At the University of Akron, here in OH, I took a karate class that was taught by the late Hanshi Anderson of the Kwanmukan system (the system I'm in). I think it was worth one credit, a phys ed requirement, if I recall correctly. I believe there was also some sort of self defense course offered, but I don't know anything about it.

College credit for the martial arts is normal. As pointed out by others here, the credit is usually 3 college credit units.

Many states require a P.E. class until they reach 21 years of age, therefore, many college students enroll in a martial arts class held on campus for several reasons.

Reasons:

*1= They've always wanted to learn the martial arts

*2= They think that type of class would be a walk through, therefore, an easy credit. Soon they find out the opposite.

*3= Pure curiosity

*4= They were late enrolling and that was the only thing left available other than...bowling...or...

*5= Needed the credit units to graduate, so, why not?

Do these college students remain interested in continuing martial arts training? I'd say...no! Not for any other reason other than the desire to practice their chosen degree(s).

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Our education system is totally different from yours in the states but one of my friends did Sports Science A-Level and TKD was one of the sports you could choose to be assessed in. The requirements were yellow belt level and you had to go find yourself a dojang and take lessons in your own time. I think Judo and Karate were also allowed as your chosen sport.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Another 3 hours of rifle/pistol if it counts.

Of course it counts! :D

At the university in my town, TKD is still offered, and I took it. The Aikido club now also offers a for-credit class, and there is a Defensive Tactics club/class that the criminal justice department puts on. There used to be a Saber club, too, but it wasn't for credit. So, we've got a pretty good range of offerings here.