• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Putting My Heel Up/Down...

Balance is lost and power is robbed when one kicks with the heel up.

Have you observed this in tournaments, Bob? Maybe someone's going for height to score a point (and maybe a bonus point added in if it's a head shot), but it's really more of a "sport kick" than a viable martial art one.

YES! In my 44 years in the martial arts, I've seen this both in and out of tournaments!

I can't imagine any good reason for anybody to raise their supporting foots heel up while kicking. It befuddles me to no end.

Sport kick? Any kick shouldn't allow the supporting foots heel to raise just for the sake of a point.

I NEVER raise my supporting foots heel while kicking for any reason because I'd, me, myself, Shindokanist, would be wrong!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been taught that "proper form" for my styles has been with the heel on the floor when kicking. However, in Muay Thai, I believe they emphasize coming up on to the ball of the pivot foot, to facilitate a quick pivot, and I think that they feel it adds power to the kicks. I have experimented with this some, and although it feels ackward to me and my flat-footed tendencies, I don't know if it causes as much problems with balance as others might contest.

The supporting foot pivoting during a kick -- that heel has to come up for a fraction of a second, BUT, then the heel MUST come down as the kick is extending.

BTW, I don't call it flat-footed when my foot is designed to support me with a solid base.

Yeah, the support leg foot has to be down in order to really drive into a kick. I agree, the heel will lift a bit to pivot, but even this should be minimal. Then it roots to make impact.

Many students erroneously think that standing on their "tip toes" helps them kick higher but in actuality their technique suffers in the process. Instability and contraction of the hamstring of the base leg cause loss of balance and decreased kicking height-among other things. You should also not be "flat footed" but have more weight on the ball of the foot WITHOUT raising the heel as when flat footed you risk knee injuries and the tendency is to hyper extend the knee at the apex of the kick which can cause other injury and loss of balance.

I'm not even referring to "students", but, I'm referring to black belts. Black belts that should know better, but, for some unknown reason(s) they freely choose to raise the supporting foot's heel up.

In my experience, Black Belts are students too-whether they think so or not! And....knowing better and doing better are two different things....one is easy, the other takes practice!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Many students erroneously think that standing on their "tip toes" helps them kick higher but in actuality their technique suffers in the process. Instability and contraction of the hamstring of the base leg cause loss of balance and decreased kicking height-among other things. You should also not be "flat footed" but have more weight on the ball of the foot WITHOUT raising the heel as when flat footed you risk knee injuries and the tendency is to hyper extend the knee at the apex of the kick which can cause other injury and loss of balance.

I'm not even referring to "students", but, I'm referring to black belts. Black belts that should know better, but, for some unknown reason(s) they freely choose to raise the supporting foot's heel up.

In my experience, Black Belts are students too-whether they think so or not! And....knowing better and doing better are two different things....one is easy, the other takes practice!

8)

When I refer to "black belts" in the context of this thread, hopefully everyone here would know what I mean. I know "black belts" are students too...everyone....no matter rank/experience/knowledge are students forever!!!!

When I see 5th degree black belts and up raise their supporting heel during any kick, no matter the degree of difficultly, I see a very sloppy lazy uneffective technique. I don't excuse it, I point it out, and then I correct it before the bad habit becomes a part of really bad muscle memory. That type of bad muscle memory is hard, not impossible, to correct for the good of the martial artist.

I think it all depends on how the kick is thrown. Take the Muay Thai roundhouse kick. Instead of keeping the heel flat, you actually rotate on the ball of the foot and in many cases you'll see the heel predominantly raised. For a strong forward-style kick though, having that heel raised will make it a weak kick.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of Muay Thai is back leg stuff. Even when they kick with the leg that is in front, its seems to be in combination with a step forward with the back leg, isn't it?

For the most part, though you're starting to see some more lead kicks now.

A decent video you can find online (search "Muay Thai Boxing Moves high roundhouse kick") you can see what I mean. Notice how on the high kick his supporting heel raises slightly. It sacrifices a lot of stability for that extra bit of power.