• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginner - should I get a heavy weight Karate gi?

devastat

Hello,

I have experience of doing 3 months of goju-ryu karate before and now after 2 years I have just started a beginners course on Shorinji-ryu.

I am about to get a karate uniform, and did some research and found out that Kamikaze America (14oz) is a good karate gi that will last for a long time. My only worry is that is there any disadvantages on getting a heavy-weight karate gi while being a beginner and learning basic technique? Would it be better for me to get a middle- or light-weight karate gi first and would I learn the basic technique more correctly with light weight karate gi, as the instructor might correct my postures more easily?

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The main issue with a heavy gi is heat. I don't know that it has any effect on technique (I certainly didn't notice any difference) but it will last longer, withstand throws and the like better, and also cook you like a roast hen under sustained inefficient exertion in a warm and/or humid space.

Debating on your training space and personal attributes, this may or may not be an issue.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

The main issue with a heavy gi is heat. I don't know that it has any effect on technique (I certainly didn't notice any difference) but it will last longer, withstand throws and the like better, and also cook you like a roast hen under sustained inefficient exertion in a warm and/or humid space.

Debating on your training space and personal attributes, this may or may not be an issue.

I agree. The only difference I've noticed is more durability and "heat" with a heavier gi.

I personally find a canvas gi much nicer to train in than a cotton one, but the weight of canvas doesn't matter much. The cotton ones are prone to clinging to your limbs when they get damp and sweaty, which isn't a good feeling. Canvas ones might give you a bit of a sandpapering for a couple weeks until your skin gets tougher, all good, no? :-).

Cheers,

Tony

I'm not much of a gi guy for a lot of my training, BJJ excepted. But I do prefer a heavier weave when I do have one one, even in stand up arts. But again, it's just preference.

I do think that much of it comes down to durability.

Personally, I have to recommend the heavy gi. I used to train in a light one, but I wouldn't use anything but the heavier material now. The heavy is a stronger material, so it'll last longer. On top of that, when you do your punches and kicks well, the gi makes a nice popping sound that you just don't get with the lighter material.

Of course, I have to tell you how I lost my lightweight gi. I was sparring another black belt in class and right in the middle of the match, he ended up stepping on the very bottom of my gi pants as I was stepping backwards and the pants tore all the way up to my thigh (I'm a tall guy, so that's quite a ways.) It wasn't my most spectacular moment in karate, to say the least. Funny though.

• 2 years later...

buy a heavy Gi. The Gi talks to its owner.When your doing your techniques eg your punches, the Gi will make a rustling sound when your hikate hand comes back and the zuki hand will make a snapping sound.This will tell you that your punches are moving in a straight line and close to your body.So as I said before your Gi will talk to you.

As pretty much everyone else has said, a heavyweight gi is hotter and more durable, but I would also add that they tend to be more expensive. If you KNOW you are going to be training for a long time then the investment in a good, heavyweight gi makes sense, but if you don't know for sure if you'll stick with it then you would probably be okay just buying a cheap middleweight gi.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society